Can't input Russian letters in CmapLite under Linux

Having problems with IHMC CmapLite? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapLite, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
ivan

Can't input Russian letters in CmapLite under Linux

Post by ivan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:14 am

The same problem appears again and again when working with CmapTools/CmapLite (from v.4.19 (AFAIR) until the latest v.5.04) under Linux (Xandros (Debian Etch based) and Ubuntu 10.04:
I have 2 languages installed - English and Russian. So, with English letters all is OK.
With Russian symbols not: almost at every program start I can't input them, or Arabian letters appear (from right to left), or empty squares appear. So, I have to restart the program, but sometimes the problem was from the very start of the program.
At the same time, other software, written on Java (Freemind, OpenOffice), normally work with Russian letters.
So, yesterday I downloaded and installed under Wine WinCmapLite - it understands Russian letters. (But I hope this is temporary situation, until searching for solution.)

May be the solution is to edit one of starting scripts and print the correct encoding (LANG="ru_RU.UTF-8"?)?

Also, I have never this problem while working with CmapTools and CmapLite under Win2000 and XP for several years (I don't remember exactly).

Thanks in advance!

rcarff

Re: Can't input Russian letters in CmapLite under Linux

Post by rcarff » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Which font are you using? Blank squares usually show up when you enter characters that the selected font does not have a glyph for. Try the tools again, enter some words, then try different fonts to see if any of them show the correct characters.

ivan

Post by ivan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:12 pm

I'll try this

ivan

Post by ivan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:48 am

1) font change didn't help

2) after reinstallation of CmapLite reversal problem appears: I can input Russian languages but English can't. I noted the warning appeared:
Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucidasans-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
3) there is file compose.dir in folder /usr/share/X11/locale, this file includes several lines like:
iso8859-1/Compose af-ZA.ISO885901
but there are no lines with ru_RU. May be I have to add them?

4) folder /usr/share/X11/locale/ru_RU.UTF-8/ has file Compose:
include "/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8"
I hope that "truth is out there", but I don't know "what to screw on" to let it works fine :)