Installing CmapLite on OLPC linux

Having problems with IHMC CmapLite? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapLite, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
maclennan

Installing CmapLite on OLPC linux

Post by maclennan » Fri May 29, 2009 11:33 am

Is there any new information on when CmapLite might be available for the OLPC XO laptop? I am particularly interested in running it under the Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid linux.

Can anyone tell me how "bad" the current CmapLite/linux is on the XO? Is it usable?

Thanks!

rcarvajal

Re: CmapLite on OLPC linux

Post by rcarvajal » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 am

@maclennan:

There are several specifications of OLPC XO laptop (processor, memory, hard drive, etc.), but if you have one of the latest XO's I guess it works as it works on Linux-based machines.

I have not experience running CmapLite on a XO running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid linux, but I would recommend you to download IHMC CmapLite for Linux and try to install it. Remember, it should be "SUGAR free".

Please let us know your findings.
Rodrigo Carvajal

maclennan

Post by maclennan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:32 am

I gave it a try, but unfortunately it didn't work. Installation went fine and I fired it up. The flash screen popped up and the window that asks for your name, institution, email, password, etc. Unfortunately the flash screen stayed in front (even across workspaces) and I could not select the other window to enter my name etc. So I suppose there must be some incompatibility with the GUI (Gnome).

I did notice that CmapLite carries its own JRE with it, which it installs in a local directory. That made me wonder if it might work better with the JRE that I have already installed, but I'm not sure how to make CmapLite run on my JRE rather than its own. If anyone can tell me how, or if I can figure it out, I'll give it another try.

Bruce

P.S. The Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid for the XO is in fact "Sugar free"!

rcarvajal

Post by rcarvajal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:38 pm

@maclennan:

In order to be able to fill up the profile (your name, institution, email, password, etc.), you need to click (as quick as possible!) the splash screen immediately it shows up and it will disappear, then the profile window will be enable. The splash screen only shows up the very first time you run CmapLite or when you click on 'About".

CmapLite installs Java version "1.5.0_17" from SUN Microsystems, if you use a different version then some functions (specially GUI options) won't work properly. The path to the JRE is specified in the cmaplite.lax file.

P.S.: I knew it was "Sugar Free" :)
Rodrigo Carvajal

maclennan

Post by maclennan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:31 pm

The "quick click" worked and CmapLite seems to up and running! Thanks!