How can I transfer a Cmap from one computer to another one?

Answers to the questions most commonly asked about CmapTools, CmapServer and CmapLite.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

How can I transfer a Cmap from one computer to another one?

Post by cmapadmin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Q. I do not have access to a shared Place (CmapServer), can I transfer a Cmap from one computer to another one?

If you don't have access to a shared IHMC CmapServer, you can still transfer Cmaps "manually" between computers.

1. Make sure CmapTools is not running.

2. Make sure that the Cmap you want to transfer is on "My Cmaps" (if you are going to transfer more than one Cmap and/or resources, place them all within the same folder and perform the same operations described here with that folder).

3. Drag-and-drop the Cmap (or entire folder) from "My Cmaps" to the desktop or to a local file system window (e.g. Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, etc.).

4. Copy the Cmap (or folder) to the desktop or file system window of the target computer (using an external drive, through a network connection, send it as an email attachment, etc.). Note that you can drag-and-drop a Cmap directly from the Views to a mail client to send it as an attachment.

5. Run IHMC CmapTools on the target computer.

6. Drag-and-drop the Cmap (or folder) to “My Cmaps”,

Note: drag-and-drop from a Place (CmapServer) to the desktop or local file system is not allowed because of some restrictions of the operating systems; so you need to first copy the resources from the server (place) to "My Cmaps" and then from "My Cmaps" to the desktop. Drag-and-drop from the desktop or local file system to a Place is allowed.