How can I transfer a Cmap from one computer to another one?

Answers to the questions most commonly asked about CmapTools and CmapServer.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

How can I transfer a Cmap from one computer to another one?

Post by cmapadmin »

I do not have access to a shared Place (CmapServer), can I transfer a Cmap from one computer to another one?

If you don't have access to a shared IHMC CmapServer, you can still transfer Cmaps "manually" between computers.
  1. Make sure CmapTools is not running.
    • Make sure that the Cmap you want to transfer is on "My Cmaps" (if you are going to transfer more than one Cmap and/or resources, place them all within the same folder and perform the same operations described here with that folder).
      • Drag-and-drop the Cmap (or entire folder) from "My Cmaps" to the desktop or to a local file system window (e.g. Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, etc.).
        • Copy the Cmap (or folder) to the desktop or file system window of the target computer (using an external drive, through a network connection, send it as an email attachment, etc.). Note that you can drag-and-drop a Cmap directly from the Views to a mail client to send it as an attachment.
          • Run IHMC CmapTools on the target computer.
            • Drag-and-drop the Cmap (or folder) to “My Cmaps”,
            Note: drag-and-drop from a Place (CmapServer) to the desktop or local file system is not allowed because of some restrictions of the operating systems; so you need to first copy the resources from the server (place) to "My Cmaps" and then from "My Cmaps" to the desktop. Drag-and-drop from the desktop or local file system to a Place is allowed.