How to Install CmapTools on Linux

Answers to the questions most commonly asked about CmapTools and CmapServer.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

How to Install CmapTools on Linux

Post by cmapadmin »

Install CmapTools from the command line

Download the latest version of CmapTools for Linux from here.

Download the installer of CmapTools according to your Linux architecture (32 o 64 bits).

If you don't know whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit, open a Terminal or shell window and type the command arch. The arch command displays whether the system is 32-bit ("i686") or 64-bit ("x86-64").

If your Linux is 32-bits download the installer ---> Linux32CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin
If your Linux is 64-bits download the installer ---> Linux64CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-ddyy.bin

when:
  • x.xx is the CmapTools version
  • dd-mm-yy is the publishing date
Change the file attribute of the installer to be executable, by typing the following command from a Terminal session:

chmod +x Linux32CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin or
chmod +x Linux64CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin

If you downloaded the Installer and have permissions to install the program, run the following command:

./Linux32CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin -i GUI or
./Linux64CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin -i GUI

If you didn't download the installer, or you are not the owner of the installation file, you must run the installer as root (administrator), by typing the following command instead. You will most likely be prompted for the user password.

sudo ./Linux32CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin -i GUI or
sudo ./Linux64CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin -i GUI

Follow the Installation Program's instructions.

Install CmapTools from the graphic interface

Download the latest version of CmapTools for Linux from here.

Download the installer of CmapTools according to your Linux architecture (32 o 64 bits).

If you don't know whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit, click System Menu (gear at top right corner), click “About This Computer”, and read “OS type” field. A 32 bit OS will read “32-bit” and a 64 bit OS will read “64-bit”.
Install-Linux-1.png

If your Linux is 32-bits download the installer ---> Linux32CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin
If your Linux is 64-bits download the installer ---> Linux64CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-ddyy.bin

when:
  • x.xx is the CmapTools version
  • dd-mm-yy is the publishing date
Change the downloaded installer to be executable, right click on the file and select properties. Under the Permissions tab. Tick the checkbox labeled “Allow executing file as program”. Then Close the properties Windows.
Install-Linux-2.png

File Manager in Ubuntu Gnome desktop cannot run a .bin file using double-click, also you cannot double-click on an executable text file (script) for security reasons. Then, rename the CmapTools installer from “Linux64CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy.bin” to “Linux64CmapTools_vx.xx_mm-dd-yy” (remove the file extension), and change the File Manager default configuration. Open the File Manager; select “Files- Preferences”, open the “Behavior” tab, and select “Run them” under “Executable Text Files”.
Install-Linux-3-4-5.png

Now you can double-click on the CmapTools installer from the File Manager to run it.

Execute the CmapTools installer and follow the instructions.