Learning Theories concept map

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
gombel

Learning Theories concept map

Post by gombel »

Hi here,
Several days ago on Higher Education Teaching and Learning site Lisa Oliner opened a discussion concerning the map. I'd like to suggest some changes which, I believe, will be beneficial. The following is our dialog with Lisa about my suggestions.

Natalia Reilly, Ph. D The scheme is very illustrative, though there is something I’d redefined. Thus, in defining scaffolding I wouldn’t overemphasize that it is tailored to the needs of students; instead, I’d bring out the functions of scaffolding in the process of prompting the students through successive steps of solving the problem: 1)Recruiting interest in the task, 2)Maintaining pursuit of the goal, 3)Marking critical features, 4)Demonstrating an idealized version. This would give the clear concept of scaffolding which is very specific, not just any “support during the learning process”. Also, it would be nice to see here the name of Rollo May and his theory of creative learning.
4 days ago

Lisa Oliner • Hi, All- Thanks for your thoughts and candid responses. While I'd love to claim authorship for the Learning Theory Concept Map, I cannot. Natalia, you might want to click on the scheme and send your ideas to the true innovators (IHMC Cmap Tools); I believe most visionaries very much appreciate the insight of others. As with any effective teaching strategy, scaffolding instruction (pre, during and post activities) ensures the engagement and success of all students, and I think that's what you're suggesting. This is what I imagine when looking at your list: number one appears to be planning an engaging mind-set activity or designing a meaningful / interactive syllabus for a unit; two suggests stating and posting clear long and short-term objectives that are reiterated and assessed frequently; three suggests ensuring transfer to long term memory by varying modalities / activities in a creative manner; and four suggests modeling project outcomes with a teacher or student-generated model to clarify instructions, expectations and initiate a 'can do' attitude.
3 days ago

Natalia Reilly, Ph.D. • Hi, Lisa, and thank you for your thoughtful comment.

Yes, scaffolding is a teaching strategy, but still – not strategy in general -- scaffolding is quite specific.

As I see it, points 1 and 2 in your interpretation reflect the corresponding points of scaffolding, but points 3 and 4 – not really.

In point 3 you described HOW to do something and this something can be whatever, while here is important WHAT to do – to mark critical features (quite possible by using the strategy you pointed out). Here the role of the teacher – the “more knowledgeable one” is crucial with his/her thorough knowledge and clear vision of the essence of the task.

The key word in point 4 is “idealized”; and an idealized model is not exactly the same as a “teacher/student generated model to clarify instructions, expectations, and initiate a ‘can do’ attitude”, -- it’s supposed to bring students beyond their expectations and even beyond their needs as they might see them at that moment.
3 days ago

Natalia Reilly, Ph.D.