Import/Export OWL files

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
rationalman

Import/Export OWL files

Post by rationalman »

It would be useful to be able to import/export OWL/RDF files with CmapTool. For example, Stanford's Protege product provides substantial technical capability for manipulating and reasoning about ontologies. But IHMC's CmapTool provides a much more flexible tool for capturing concepts that could then be exported in OWL for further analysis (and automated reasoning). The ability to import/export OWL/RDF would facilitate using each tool where appropriate for various technical purposes.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Import/Export OWL files

Post by cmapadmin »

There used to be a version of CmapTools (COE), aimed at editing ontologies. The development was suspended some time ago, and there are no plans to continue developing it. There are still some documents around on the Web that describe it (e.g. http://cmap.ihmc.us/coe/COEmanual06.pdf).
rationalman

Post by rationalman »

Thanks for that. I had seen the information on CoE but noted most recent data were from about 2006. Since it is not currently maintained, it's utility is limited.

I guess, rather than a full-up ontology editor, I was thinking more along the lines of a simple import/export feature in CmapTool for cmap diagrams that are conformal to the constraints of something like OWL. (This may really be more complicated than it sounds at first blush, I don't know.)

CmapTool's most attractive features are its generality and simplicity of use. The ability to export (some) cmaps in a format such as OWL, making them readily accessible to third-party reasoners, would position CmapTool as a unique niche resource in the complicated process of building and maintaining operational ontologies.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Certainly possible... we would need funding for it.
rationalman

Post by rationalman »

Roger funding.
syntheticperson

Post by syntheticperson »

I would like to add my voice to interest in OWL support.
You used to have a version of CMAP tools which supported this, which I found to be very useful.
I understand you require funding to support this. I figure the more people that voice interest, the better.

thanks