Rotate object

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
coyoteazul

Rotate object

Post by coyoteazul »

Hi. It'd be nice if we could rotate objects 90°. It'd ease the allocation on some Cmaps

Also it'd be nice if, while writing, objects would grow from the align point.
As it is now, when we write objects always grow from the center. I would like that, if i set the object to be aligned to the left, the object would start growing from there.
It'd ease writing multiple line objects, because i could place the object where I want it to be, start writing and easily see when i need to change lines. Right now I have to write the whole thing first and then start inserting line changes to make fit on the space I need
astroshardanand

Re: Rotate object

Post by astroshardanand »

no idea
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

The grow from the left align point is a good idea. The rotation sounds a little weird. What you want is to be able to write text sideways?
vesjolovam

Post by vesjolovam »

cmapadmin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:54 am The rotation sounds a little weird. What you want is to be able to write text sideways?
I think what would be useful is being able to rotate the nodes' origins around some point. E.g. imagine you have some conceptualization branching outwards, you have branch A, branch B and branch C evenly spaced around the central "root"; and now you want to add another branch between the branches B and C — how would you do that? Just dragging the branches left/right/up/down would change the angles between the outgoing arrows and most likely would ruin the look of the map (e.g. where the links were positioned between the concepts, they would start getting overlapped, bundled, intersected, etc.); the user, thus, would be forced to either reposition all the nodes in the branches manually or just give up on the idea, and in case the concept map is large enough, the second outcome would be most likely. Rotating nodes around some point (in this case, around the "root" node), however, would have way more chances at [mostly] preserving the visual clarity, potentially saving the user hours of manual alignment work.