Android app

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
kosirm

Android app

Post by kosirm »

similar idea like iPad, just for all of us using android phones and tablets.

I have samsung galaxy tab and on phone I'm using Thinking space which is free, but on pc I'm using cmaps, which are the best. If I could use my cmaps on my tab it would be perfect.

thanks
adelaidavid

Re: Android app

Post by adelaidavid »

It would certainly be a great idea. I have a LG Optimus Black, and to review my Cmaps in my Android would be an incredible tool ... :o

Greetings from Spain.
felthecat

Post by felthecat »

I second that! :D
hembling

Post by hembling »

PLEASE, if you haven't already, begin the development of an Android version of CMap Tools. More and more students are using mobile devices such as Android Tablets/phones and iPhones/iPads and the touch-screen is an ideal medium for creating maps.

I am sure you would have no difficulty getting a group from this forum to beta-test it for you! Count me in!

Thanks.
vivgxojo

Post by vivgxojo »

I am also looking for an android version of Cmap.
Willing to pay for it. Willing to help in the developpement and testing.
acanas

Post by acanas »

At this point we are completing the iPad version, and looking for funding to develop an Android version -- we do believe an Android version needs to be developed.
chris2fr

Post by chris2fr »

Hi,

I notice that CMAP tools are already developed in Java. If you estime that the effort is manageable for one or two people, I would be glad to take this up with a friend of mine. Of course, some compensation would be nice too.

Christopher
chris2fr

Post by chris2fr »

Be it an Android App or an App for Linux on ARM processors, the challenge is compiling the upstream libraries, mostly if not all free software, on the ARM processor, or cross-compiled for the ARM processor. When that is done, we then need to adjust an intaller. Should I be worried about Java that is available, supposedly only on Linux, for these machines both from OpenJDK and Oracle itself.

Dear powers that be, may we take on such an undertaking?
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Right now we are concentrating on getting the iPad version published -- its taken a lot longer than we expected. Hope to do it this month. Once that is done, we can start thinking about an Android version.

It has to be a complete rewrite, no use trying to use the current CmapTools code. The interface will need to be different, and the GUI libraries are completely different.
hiegunn

Post by hiegunn »

I'd love an Android version. Hope you get funded and get round to starting it.