Insert properties for nodes

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
albesco

Insert properties for nodes

Post by albesco »

Hello

I'm working on a project to create a map of procedures.
A conceptual map is a fairy good solution to represent graphically each element, but... I need to add some properties to each node.
Just for an example, to say that a node has a
- face value
- a weight
- an external code
Each property should have a value that can be read by other systems.

Is it possible to implement this feature?
It's quite common in other graphical tools (the mindmapping one, just for an example) and... I'd like to avoid using Visio only for this little leak.

I've tried to use hidden notes to write a "tagged text", or nested nodes, but... these solutions seems palliatives to me.

Thanks for any your suggestion

Alberto
dem

Re: Insert properties for nodes

Post by dem »

This would be a useful feature for my application as well. These properties should be searchable.
acanas

Post by acanas »

CmapTools was designed to be a good concept mapping tool, not a general tool for constructing graphs. Concepts in concept maps don't carry weights or values, they have a label and that's it, and therefore there is little chance that we will implement features like what you propose. If we try to convert it into a general graphing tool, then it would loose its simplicity. We get many requests to extend CmapTools so its suitable for other graph formats, but we feel it would become a complex tool that is not good for anything in particular. There are many good programs for other types of graphs, and general tools like Visio which do a good job for drawing all types of graphs.

To read the information from the concept in other systems, you can export it to CXL, the XML-format for Cmaps.

Regards,

Alberto
tobiaslombacher

Post by tobiaslombacher »

Hello Alberto,

i have to say I use fairly the same way to weight and differentiate between some ideas and concepts. I use either the description or the hidden text to keep additional information about its weight and other things but never got really happy with this.

Regards,
Tobias