GuaranteedAvailabilityOfFreePublicCmapsServers

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
fridemar

GuaranteedAvailabilityOfFreePublicCmapsServers

Post by fridemar »

Dear Alberto,

is there any guarantee that FreePublicCmapsServers are available for the general public?

Or a similar question:

Do you allow licensees of the CmapsServer software to offer FreePublicCmapsServers?

Best
Fridemar
Let's FosterEachOther ( <- Google )
-- Fridemar
acanas

Re: GuaranteedAvailabilityOfFreePublicCmapsServers

Post by acanas »

Fridemar,

The IHMC Public severs have been available for many years, maybe 10? Not sure how many. One of the CmapServers goes back to v2, and we automatically converted all the Cmaps to the new format we used in v3. Is there a guarantee? Well, as long as we can keep them running, they'll remain available to the public. Many organizations have Public servers available, including the Universidad Publica de Navarra, in Spain, and the Conectate al Conocimiento Project in Panama, as well as others. Once you install a CmapServer you set up the permissions whichever way you like, making it a Public server or not according to your needs.

Regards,

Alberto
fridemar

Re: GuaranteedAvailabilityOfFreePublicCmapsServers

Post by fridemar »

Alberto,

this gives me (and hopefully a lot of other people) encouragement and motivation to spread the good news to as many as possible communities.

So the more people use it as clients and as server-providers, the better the chances that this gem will get its place as (imho) one of the most useful social software (giving rise to wikilike "knowledge soups") in the Web.
I think especially on the 200 million OLPC X0 users and their partners, who will make a difference in the evolving GlobalBrain.

One of the advantages over traditional wikis appears to me in easier refactoring of those well known overly long wikipages. Cmaps foster "Refactor early, refactor often" and incremental collaboration , more than even wikis imho.

As this profound and mature software CMaps might have been probably be supported by non-open businesses (Microsoft?, etc..?), some community people could have seen a conflict with the open source movement (as incorporated in XO) and thus being hampered to spread all over the Web.

I think ConceptMappingAllKnowledge is at least as valuable as GoogleEarth.
Perhaps some day Google will buy it for some billions and make each IHMC member a millionaire :-) .

Thank you for your great (not yet really worldwide detected/appropriately appreciated and used) donation to mankind. (sic!).
Fridemar
Let's FosterEachOther ( <- Google )
-- Fridemar