Style definitions

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
tobiaslombacher

Style definitions

Post by tobiaslombacher »

I would suggest to have the possibility to apply styles to a concept map which includes the concept itself and its linking phrases. The idea is to have the possibility with a predefined style lets say to write every concept in ARIAL 10 and all linking phrases in ARIAL 8. Right now I can apply each style in a separate process to each of the concepts or the linking phrase. With a style definnition which allows to differntiate between the concepts and its linking phrases automatically it would be much easier to have be consistent within a map, especially if more people work at a map.

Regards
Tobias
saskiax

Re: Style definitions

Post by saskiax »

I seem to be able to do this already (unless I've misunderstood what you are asking for). If I select a concept & it's linking phrases and create a new style, the style includes the format of the concept, linking phrase & connectors, even if they have completely different formats (e.g. different font size, colour etc). I can then select another group of concepts & linking phrases and apply the style, including the distinct formatting of concepts & linking phrases. So if my original style had linking phrases in 8pt Arial in blue text and concepts in 10pt Arial in red text, this formatting is applied in the same manner to the selected propositions, distinguishing between linking phrases & concepts appropriately.
tobiaslombacher

Post by tobiaslombacher »

I'm not sure if I already understood the concept that applies to the styles. I'm thinking always in a way like the style manager in OpenOffice but it dosen't seem to work the same way in the CMAP Tools. For example, if I define a new style and I select parts of a CMAP and double-click on the style nothing happens. Dosen't seem right to me. Like I said I'm still testing and hopefully figure it out.
jarkko

Post by jarkko »

After I've created a style, I only need to
1. select the objects on the cmap to be changed,
2. click (not doubleclick) the new style in the named styles box in styles palette
...and the selected objects assume the new style.

Is this not working for you?
--
CmapTools 5.04.01
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Core i7-4510U 2.00/2.60ghz
RAM 8gb
saskiax

Post by saskiax »

@tobiaslombacher

Are you able to apply new styles at all? It sounds like you have not actually created a new style, but have simply duplicated the current style. New styles are based on the attributes of the currently selected items, so whatever is highlighted when you click "create style" will determine the new style. If it is working properly, you should just be able to do what jarkko described to apply the new style.