Cmap and Webforums

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
Nemesis

Cmap and Webforums

Post by Nemesis »

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has thought of using Cmap to capture, collate information from a Webforum into a more formalized knowledge model? Although Webforums are a very efficient means of sharing information and discussing subjects among members in a distributed network/web community it is less well suited to capture and preserve the information and conclusions that are drawn. The fundamental drawbacks of Webfora include repeated copies of the same questions/subject, irrelevant headings, etc. There is also the general problem of multiple threads with similar subjects or releated questions where the link is never made and that older but generally relevant threads rather quickly gets pushed into oblivion by new (possibly) more trivial ones. Webforums are thus heavily reliant on the collective forum memory of frequent/advanced members to pick up on novel links to the threads from the past. A means of creating a graphical representation of the current state of the forum 'knowledge' e.g. in the form of a concept man could thus be potentially very valuable, especially for forums that are addressing fundamental or scientific questions.
Is there anyone who have thought of or created an integration or a successful parallell use between Cmap and (preferably) phpbb? If not, is it conceivable and could it be done?
Best regards,
Nemesis
fridemar

Please leave a link to a Public Cmap Server to start forum C

Post by fridemar »

Hello Nemesis,
yes this is a wonderful idea, that we could start in the next minute, if somebody here (hint, hint to the admins :-) ), gives a link to an appropriate public Cmap server.
I think, it is high noon to start now with such a cmapforum supplement, before it gets a daunting task.
Best
Fridemar
PS.:
I think it's a shame to have a Cmap-forum here without Cmap-links, and practical Cmapping. http://www.Cmappers.net unfortunately doesn't provide a special subforum to fulfill this need.
So I am still waiting for an answer to my suggestion here in this forum to have installed such a (sub-)forum together with a public Cmap Server, where all this is possible.
Ironically enough, if we already had a Cmap on this forum, it would be easier to find my suggestion and to respond to it.
Even a Wiki would be more supportive (imho) to build a Cmappers community, but applying Cmaps (together with a wiki) to attain this goal would be more efficient, convincing and attractive.
Help urgently needed (by the admins) to give a solid fundament, i.e public CmapServer !!
Let's FosterEachOther ( <- Google )
-- Fridemar
fridemar

Cmap and Wikis / Call for Barnraising

Post by fridemar »

For your convenience I leave a bilink to <->http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?CallForBarnraising, asking everybody for support, who wants to contribute to the growth of the Cmapper community.
Best
Fridemar
Let's FosterEachOther ( <- Google )
-- Fridemar