Rodrigo, please help with a link to a public Cmapserver.

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
fridemar

Rodrigo, please help with a link to a public Cmapserver.

Post by fridemar »

Rodrigo, I am polling this forum serveral times a day, eagerly waiting for you to give green light to start a knowledge soup for growing the Cmappers community.

We only need an explicit link to a public CmapServer to start.

It's really a pain, to be left in the rain.

I have waisted hours to search the huge list of Cmap servers, which one would be appropriate. But I didn't get the necessary meta-information on the status and goodwill of the respective providers.
Moreover I've been googling the Web, but could only find WalledGardens of Schools and Academia, with a lot of isolated Cmaps.

The only exception was the coherent presentation of IHMC cmaps on cmaps.

If you have the same problem of not finding a serious open-minded CmapServer provider with goodwill, what about asking the public here (and elsewhere), who would be ready to host such a free public Cmappers community server.

Thank you.
Fridemar
Let's FosterEachOther ( <- Google )
-- Fridemar
rcarvajal

Re: Rodrigo, please help with a link to a public Cmapserver.

Post by rcarvajal »

@fridemar:

Alberto wrote: "The IHMC Public severs have been available for many years, maybe 10? Not sure how many. "

We administrate several public CmapServers, so please create a folder in one of those servers and change its permissions.

- http://cmapspublic.ihmc.us/ : IHMC Public Cmaps
- http://cmapspublic2.ihmc.us/ : IHMC Public Cmaps (2)
- http://cmapspublic3.ihmc.us/ : IHMC Public Cmaps (3)

But, as Alberto said in a previous post to you: "(f) If you want access limited to those in this forum, create a Cmap in the "IHMC Cmappers" public server, and select "All Users in the Directory" instead of "Everyone" when assigning the permissions. Since "IHMC Cmappers" uses an LDAP server for authentication, only users registered in the forum (well, also those registered in http://www.cmappers.net) will be able to modify the Cmap."

Please refer to Alberto's answer at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47#p56 on how to set up a folder on a public CmapServer.
Rodrigo Carvajal
fridemar

Thankyou, Report and Problem

Post by fridemar »

Dear Rodrigo, thank you for your green light and your helpful hand.

Now I did the following (please correct me, if I have got something wrong) :

* I started the Cmap client 5.03
* In the file menue of CMap Tools, I clicked on New Folder
* In the pop up dialogue window I entered the following (un-bold) text:
** FolderName: CmapperCommunityInitiative
** Description: This is a place for friendly and constructive Cmappers to build a growing Cmap, connecting, annotating (their) contributions as Cmaps, postings in forums, wikis, blogs, videosites, any Webpages that foster the GlobalBrain with focus: WhatCanWeDoForEachOther.
** Keywords: Initiative, Cmaps, Forums, Blogs, Wikis, Video, Audio, Global , Help, Collaboration, GlobalBrain, FosterEachOther
* I set the checkbox: Set as Knowledge Model

* Didn't modify the default Username+password combination of myself.
* Clicked on Permissions..
* In the pop up, I clicked on Add User
* I typed:All users in the Directory
but got the error message : "A user ID cannot begin with a number or contain any special characters"
As I supposed, that the blanks were making the trouble, I deleted them, but was prompted for a password, which didn't make sense in this case.
I looked for a ready-made option "All users in the Directory", but couldn't find one.

... and the process stopped.

I also looked at Cmappers.net for a link to start from there a special instance of my Cmap Client (in the hope to get there a default: "All users in the Directory" , but could not find one.
Perhaps it might be helpful to have a screencast or at least some screenshots for the procedure.

Best
Fridemar
-- Fridemar
rcarvajal

Re: Rodrigo, please help with a link to a public Cmapserver.

Post by rcarvajal »

@fridemar:

After you run IHMC CmapTools you need to click on "Shared Cmaps on Places", then select "IHMC Cmappers", then open the "Users" folder and select the "fridemar" folder. See the image attached in order to have a better idea of what I said before.
IHMC CmapTools - How to select my personal folder stored on &quot;IHMC Cmappers.net&quot;.
IHMC CmapTools - How to select my personal folder stored on "IHMC Cmappers.net".
After you had selected and opened "fridemar" on the public CmapServer you will be able to create the folder (as you had described previously). See the attached image.
IHMC CmapTools - Create a Folder
IHMC CmapTools - Create a Folder
After you click on "Permissions..." you will be able to add the user(s) or group of users (i.e. "All users in Directory") to your new folder. See attached image.
IHMC CmapTools - Set up permissions on a LDAP-based CmapServer (i.e. &quot;IHMC Cmappers&quot;).
IHMC CmapTools - Set up permissions on a LDAP-based CmapServer (i.e. "IHMC Cmappers").
Rodrigo Carvajal
fridemar

My CmappersCommunityInitiative are replaced by somebody else

Post by fridemar »

@Rodrigo:

your explanations together with the screenshots helped a lot. Thank you.

You can see my sketchy result at http://cmaps.cmappers.net/rid=1G5GVX0S8 ... ative.cmap.

I invite peer Cmappers to extend and improve it or to make another start cmap in their ordners with similar permissions, so that we can contribute there too.

As some authors might prefer to leave their individual footprint on their cmaps, I can image a KnowledgeSoup (where each author cares for their own contributions but links to cmaps of co-authors).

Now my follow up question:

Could you or somebody else give us some (pointers to) information or experience on KnowledgeSoups?
But this is another suggestion in this forum: WhatIsaKnowledgeSoup and how can we use and improve it.

Fridemar

PS.: My initial efforts in English language are meanwhile replaced by a Spanish author. Please translate it in English. Otherwise I cannot read it and support it.
Last edited by fridemar on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Fridemar
fridemar

Link to follow up: WhatIsaKnowledgeSoup

Post by fridemar »

Emulating the convenience of Wikis to connected contributions:
WhatIsaKnowledgeSoup: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78
-- Fridemar
fridemar

BiLinking Conceptmaps with the Web.

Post by fridemar »

Thank you, dear unknown for experimenting with Cmaps, linking to at least to this Support Forum.
I found your map incidentally while browsing for Cmappers community, which still is nearly invisible at Google.

Why not linking back from here to there, even if we are in a sandbox mode: http://cmaps.cmappers.net/rid=1G5GVX0S8 ... ative.cmap
An even more universal method would be, bilinking with GoogleSideWiki, as I test it on a separate page: BiLinking Conceptmaps with the Web, or a similar title .

-- fridemar
-- Fridemar