How do I save to IHMC Cmappers or Public Cmaps?

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
lrozelle

How do I save to IHMC Cmappers or Public Cmaps?

Post by lrozelle »

Every time I go to make a folder in IHMC Cmappers, it asks for my id and password which I type, but it says that it's incorrect. So I changed my password and tried again. Still it says my information is incorrect. I'm trying to save one of my Cmaps from My Cmaps onto IHMC Cmappers or Public Cmaps. Not sure what the difference is. Do I want to save on IHMC Cmappers? ... or Public Cmaps?

Next step I registered for this forum and finally found a place to post my question. Can anyone help with this. It's frustrating to go all over the site over and over and not find how to accomplish this task.

Another issue: When I save my Cmap in My Cmap as a web page, I was able to open it as an attachment, but then when I emailed this web page (Firefox) as an attachment, I could not open the attachment. How do I send a web page version of my Cmap to a friend? Can they open such a file?

Thank you for your time and information. Lori p.s. I use the latest version 5.03 on a Dell Inspiron.
jarkko

Re: How do I save to IHMC Cmappers or Public Cmaps?

Post by jarkko »

Sign up here, and a folder for your use will be automatically created on cmappers-server:
http://www.cmappers.net/signup

Instructions for sending a we-page version as an email attachement:
http://cmap.ihmc.us/Support/help/ (while at it, bookmark this page :) )
...first choose "Send Cmap as an Email" from the left, then "To send a Cmap that is viewable by any web browser".

-Jarkko
--
CmapTools 5.04.01
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Core i7-4510U 2.00/2.60ghz
RAM 8gb
nglock@higheredge.org

Post by nglock@higheredge.org »

Edit postDelete postReport this postReply with quoteRe: How do I save to IHMC Cmappers or Public Cmaps?
by nglock@higheredge.org » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:54 am

(I'm using Cmap 5.03 on XP with 2 Gigs of Ram)
Like Lori, I am in a hopeless loop. Basically, I'm trying to upload a Cmap to Cmapper site, or one of the 3 public sites. When I attempt to save my Cmap to one of these sites, it does--of course--bring up a dialogue box asking for my user ID and password. When I put in the user ID that I set up originally in downloading Cmap Tools, and the password, it tells me I am not registered. Period. End of discussion. No info telling me not registered with whom, or where to go to register or how to, etc.

So, I go to Cmapper Registration and start to fill it in and am told, in effect, that I can't register because I'm not using the right user ID etc--even though I'm using the very one I've just been told, elsewhere, IS the one I have in the system (and the one that got me onto this list serve). So I keep being told, in different contexts, that I am not in the system and must register, and at the same time, I not allowed to register because I am already in the system (or can register only if I use the "same" User ID they already have for me.)

In any case, Cmappers won't accept my effort to register. Nor is there anywhere that I know of to go back and find out how I am registered with Cmap, no "my account", etc. I can go to and see or edit, etc. Just the message coming up that I should be sure to use the same ID that is in the Cmap system, which--as far as I know--I am.

I URGENTLY need to get this map up and running, and am completely stymied. Have been for days.

Thank you for your help, Jarkko, or anyone else!
jarkko

Post by jarkko »

"Do I want to save on IHMC Cmappers? ... or Public Cmaps?"

To my understanding Cmappers (very beta still) uses LDAP for access control, hence the registration.

W/out registration: you can/must create a folder to one of the Public -servers using Cmaptools client, before you can save your cmaps. Right-click on the server in Views, select New, etc. Then use "Save as" in the Cmap's file menu.

-Jarkko
--
CmapTools 5.04.01
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Core i7-4510U 2.00/2.60ghz
RAM 8gb
nglock@higheredge.org

Dear Colleagues,

Judging from Jarkko's answer, which I much appreciate, I was not sufficiently clear in my question. I am NOT asking HOW to upload. Rather, I am saying that when I DO attempt to upload, using precisely the steps Jarkko recommended to me, and to Lori, then a dialogue window comes up. It requires me to sign in, with a password. And then it rejects me as not being "registered". This occurs precisely when I do what Jarkko have just suggested. That is what I had been doing (based on Jarkko's instructions to Lori)--or have attempted to do at each of the PUBLIC sites, #1-3, in addition to the Cmappers site. Hence my frustration. Each site demands a "registration" but with no guidance as to where or how to so register, nor any recognition of the registrations I have already done (and am inputting into that dialogue window) in (a) Cmap or at (b) the Cmappers site, which makes clear their unfinishes status, or (c) this Forum.

Since Lori and I are both asking what I believe to be the same question, having had the same experience relative to our ID & Password, and in each case the focus of Jarkko's answer was different from that of our question, I am wondering whether perhaps you, Jarkko, are having a different experience, namely that of someone already IN the system and fully recognized, so that the question does not even arise for you when interacting with these public sites. If you were to have someone new with unrecognized email address, no cookies, etc. go in and attempt to upload a Cmap to a public site, maybe you/he/she could replicate our experience and then diagnose and suggest WHERE DO WE REGISTER so that these sites do in fact RECOGNIZE us and ALLOW us to upload our Cmaps, as per your instructions.

I have an urgent need to upload my Cmaps and cannot. I called IHMC. They, appropriately, directed me to work through this Forum--all volunteers, I presume--so I apologize for burdening you all with my question, but I really need the help. And it seems I'm not the only one, based on Lori's expeience. Thank you SO much. Nancy GG
jarkko

Post by jarkko »

@Nancy: You need a folder on a server to save (upload) cmaps. Just to make shure; have you created a folder onto Public Cmaps (1), (2) or (2) using CmapTools-client?

-Jarkko

Ps. Let's return to cmappers question later.
nglock@higheredge.org

Thanks, Jarkko. No I have not. Looks like that may be the missing piece. I'm off to a conference but when I return at the end of next week, I'll give that a try! Thanks so much for your help! :)