cmindex.luc

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
dancanda

cmindex.luc

Post by dancanda »

Dear Cmap Tools Team,
my WIndows XP computer (1 Gb RAM) has been bugging me with alerts of lacking space on my hard drive, although I thought I should still have plenty of space. Indeed, it weren't my files that were taking up all the space, but a CmapTools folder in the application files. More specifically a folder called cmindex.luc (C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application files\CmapTools\local\My Cmaps\cmindex.luc) contained 20Gb of data that I could not look at, as they were write-protected.
I uninstalled CmapTools (so I can't tell you which version I had installed, but it was a recent one, maybe four months old), hoping that the folder would be deleted during this process, which it wasn't. Now I am deleting it manually, which is obviously taking a long time due to its size.
In any case I would like to know what kind of files were saved in this cmindex.luc folder, whether they are essential for CmapTools to run or whether they are just temporary files that I have to delete from time to time to prevent my hard drive from filling up.
Curiously awaiting your response,
Ana
acanas

Re: cmindex.luc

Post by acanas »

Ana,

The file is used for indexing, it allows you search for Cmaps in your My Cmaps folder. You can safely delete the file and run CmapTools and see how large it gets (how many Cmaps + resources do you have in My Cmaps? Sounds like a lot).

If you want to save disk space, you may want to install CmapLite. This version does include the indexing and the Help files are not installed so it saves disk space. You can then delete the cmindex.luc file. The download page lists the other modules that are not included in CmapLite.

Or, you can go into cmaptools.cfg file and set the entry:

index.create=true

to false. This will prevent the indexing. You can then delete the cmindex.luc file. The cmaptools.cfg file is located in the bin directory wherever the program was installed, possibly in Program Files.