Linking propositions between Cmaps

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
rcarff

Re: Linking propositions between Cmaps

Post by rcarff »

To make a link in CmapTools you first select a Concept or Linking Phrase. This will display the "Link Creation Icon" above the selected Node. Now you have 2 options. First, you can move the mouse over the Icon, press the mouse button, drag a new connection line out of the Node, and release the mouse button where you want to connection to end. The Second way is to use the mouse to Click on the Icon, now moving the mouse (no mouse buttons pressed) will show the connection arrow (just like dragging), and then click again where you want the connection to end. On a Windows or Linux system, both methods can be used to make connections between Cmaps, but under OS X you can only use the second one. Has to do with the way the OS X Java VM reports mouse events. Try it again using the Click-Move-Click method and see if it works.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

I should have asked years ago...it would have changed the way I used Cmap quite dramatically. Now my only "wish" is an iPad version!
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

And I forgot to mention...thank you very much for getting back to me so rapidly.

Cheers.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Hi,

There is a video titled "Creating concepts and propositions" that shows different ways to create concepts and propositions.

It's available at http://cmap.ihmc.us/videos/

CmapSupport
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

While the linked video is undoubtedly a valuable resource, it doesn't apply to the topic of the thread. I wasn't trying to link 2 propositions in the same map, but 2 propositions in different maps. The method described in the help section...if followed to the letter doesn't work on Macs. When linking between 2 maps, you have to click on the arrows above the proposition, release the mouse button, drag the cursor to the location on the new map, and then click. While this method of developing concepts is mentioned in the help section (somewhere)...the help section regarding linking between 2 maps doesn't mention this method. The method described in help works on a Windows based system only. The click-release-click method is what works for a mac.