Linking propositions between Cmaps

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
bpwhistler

Linking propositions between Cmaps

Post by bpwhistler »

I've been using the Mac version of Cmap...and am using the latest version. I have read the directions in the Help section regarding "Linking Propositions Between Cmaps." When I align my 2 Cmaps as directed in the Help section, and then "Left-click and drag from the arrows at the top of a concept or linking phrase, then release the mouse above a Cmap you want to link to" the arrow stops at the border of the Cmap I'm dragging from. It doesn't allow me to drag out of the "parent" Cmap into the Cmap I want to make a link to. I've been trying to make this happen for years...and have finally decided to ask for help. Obviously I must be missing something.

Thanks.
bpwhistler

Re: Linking propositions between Cmaps

Post by bpwhistler »

I am using the Mac version 5.03 in OS 10.6.3 w/ 4 GB of RAM.
acanas

Post by acanas »

I just tried it on my Mac, and it works. I placed the windows one besides the other, selected a concept on one Cmap, clicked on the arrows on top of it and dragged the mouse to the canvas of the second Cmap, both to a concept and to a blank area to create a new concept. You must first save the target Cmap, but its not saved, it will warn you. I can't see why it won't work for you.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

I have multiple Cmaps saved to My Cmaps. I open 2 (or multiple) and position them next to each other. When I drag the connecting arrow...it stops at the edge of the Cmap (original) I started dragging from...even though I continue moving my mouse pointer over the Cmap I want to connect to (connected). If I release the mouse over the "connected" Cmap (or the concept in the connected Cmap) I want to connect to, a new concept with linking line is created at the edge of the original Cmap.
acanas

Post by acanas »

Try using the option or command key when doing the drag -- I remember there was a time when this was needed on the Mac ... I can't see what's wrong since in our tests it works, but we'll check it out.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

If I have the command or option key depressed when I click on the arrow, it moves the entire concept when I drag it rather than extending the connecting line. If I depress the command or option key after starting to drag the arrow, same result as not holding the key...when I get to the edge of the Cmap, the arrow stops moving. When I release the mouse (when holding command or option) no new concept is created at the edge of the original cmap.

Very frustrating...thanks for the help.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

As an aside...I tried unistalling (using the IHMC uninstaller) and reinstalling a new download. I was not able to find or delete the preferences file...so that information as well as my Cmaps survived the reinstallation. This didn't change the behavior previously discussed regarding linking between propositions.

It did however create a new problem. Every time I launch Cmaps, the allow/deny incoming connections warning pops up.
Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 12.25.36 PM.png
I click "allow" each time...but this doesn't stop it from showing up the next time.

Another thing...I also used to have my Cmap icon in my dock. When I launched Cmap from this icon, a second icon wouldn't show up in my dock. Now that I've uninstalled and reinstalled...and put the icon back in the dock, I end up with 2 Cmap icons in the dock when Cmap is running. Not a big deal I know...but it's bugging me that I can't remember how I got around that behavior on my last install of Cmap.
acanas

Post by acanas »

You seem to have a firewall set up. This must be the problem with the connections, as indicated by the message. Its not CmapTools fault.

Before I resintall/uninstall, I always get rid of the icon on the dock. What runs first is the program that check for updates. Then CmapTools is launched. This is how you are getting the two icons.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

I do have the OS X firewall running. It never was a problem until I reinstalled. Cmap tools (and check for update) is listed as allowing incoming connections...and I still get the error.

I also can't get back to the situation of only having 1 icon on my dock. If I launch from Spotlight or the applications folder (no icon on dock), then I end up with one Cmap icon. No matter how I try to make a short cut or symbolic link...if I have an icon on my desktop and launch from it, I end up with 2 icons on the desktop. Is this just the way it's going to be? If so I must have figured out a bizarre work-around for it to work before.

Should I completely uninstall Cmap again, including the preferences? If so, where are the preferences located in OS X? I won't turn off my firewall to run Cmap. Should I just "deny" incoming messages for it?

Still hoping you can fix me for linking between Cmaps!

Cheers and hope you're having a good weekend.
acanas

Post by acanas »

Can't tell how you have your firewall set up. The list of ports that CmapTools uses is listed here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157. You shouldn't have to turn your firewall off, just need to make sure its set up correctly.

When I run the program, I also get a second icon that is the "running" program on the dock. That is because the icon in the dock is the "Check for Updates" program, which launches the CmapTools application, the second icon.

If you remove the icon that is currently in the dock, then go to the /Applications/IHMC CmapTools/bin folder and drag the CmapTools.app icon to the dock, you get the single icon you want, but won't be notified of new versions.

You don't need to get rid of the preferences, it won't help. For the record, they are stored under Library/Preferences/CmapTools in your home folder.