Windows strips named anchor from URLs

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
hsfrey

Windows strips named anchor from URLs

Post by hsfrey »

Prof. Canas:

Have you had a chance to look into the problem of Windows stripping named anchors from URLs (ie: the name after the "#")?

Do you think this is something that can be easily fixed?

Or, can you recommend a work-around?
acanas

Re: Windows strips named anchor from URLs

Post by acanas »

Hi,

We treat all OS's the same, and so it seems, from what we can tell, an issue with Windows and how it interprets the URL. There doesn't seem to be a way around it with the HTML files in your computer.
hsfrey

Post by hsfrey »

It appears that you simply call my default browser (Firefox), which has no problem with branching to internal links in any other context.

Since 90% of users use Windows, I would think this would be an issue of some importance.

If you're not interested in investigating it further, could you post the code you use to call the browser?
acanas

Post by acanas »

Well, there are some cases where the OS does things that we can't control. We'll need to look closely into this one to see if there are any options.

See RFC 1738 section 3.10:
A file URL takes the form:

file://<host>/<path>

And if you look at the BNF definition for the file url, the fragment identifier doesn't show up
anywhere:

fileurl = "file://" [ host | "localhost" ] "/" fpath
fpath = fsegment *[ "/" fsegment ]
fsegment = *[ uchar | "?" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" ]

There are many differences among browsers in all kinds of situations, not only this one. We've registered the problem.