Can't link to referenced webpages

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
junemcw

Can't link to referenced webpages

Post by junemcw »

CMap tools suddenly can't link to any referenced links stored in file. Error message is: 'There was a problem sending the command to the program'. Exporting the CMap file to an html file... this allows all links to be found correctly. All stored CMaps have this problem.
Problem may have started after updating Avast anti-virus software to v5.0594
Have tried CMap v5.03_04-07-09 and v5.04_07-16-10
Using 802.11b/g, TCP/IP, PPPoE, WinXP-3

Any suggestions to fix appreciated.
june
acanas

Re: Can't link to referenced webpages

Post by acanas »

Sounds like you have a problem with the Antivirus program. What type of files are you linking to? If it is a file that needs to be opened by another program (e.g. a powerpoint file), the antivirus program is probably blocking it. You need to look into the settings of the antivirus program.
Please send the log files so we can look at the problem carefully, but it does seem like a problem with your antivirus program.
Instructions on where to find the log file can be found in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65
junemcw

Post by junemcw »

This problem still exists after complete uninstall of antivirus pgm, restarted and ran w/o antivirus pgm. I think only coincidental occurrence. Problem is can't link to referenced html sites only. Can link to referenced docs and pdfs.
See copy of log file, attached
cmaptools1.log
(101.14 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
acanas

Post by acanas »

I don't understand. In your first post you indicate that links to files don't work. Now you indicate that the links to HTML don't work, but links to reference documents do work. So, which is it that is giving problems, and where are the target resources (HTML or files) located, in your computer? on a network computer? on the Web?

If the link is to an html site, can you provide a sample link that you have added? Did you add it manually or did you drag-and-drop the URL from a web browser?
junemcw

Post by junemcw »

Sorry for confusion... my limitations.
It is the links to URL/web sites which cannot be accessed. Local file access okay.
Have been using the program successfully for 8 months
There is no network, just wireless router which is functioning. Using WinXP Sp3
Program is stored in C:\Program Files\CmapTools
All target links are listed as shortcuts in directory located in 'C:\My Documents\My CMaps' and can be linked to the web page. Using Mozilla FireFox.
In program: Top toolbar Help dropdowns - Cmaptools Help or Cmaptools Website cannot be accessed.
Web links are listed in the Cmap Views window 'Cmaps in My Computer' but cannot be accessed.
Process of adding links: Links to html sites were added manually by right clicking 'concept' box then select 'add web address' and pasting in http location.
Sample link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4056 ... rom=pubmed
acanas

Post by acanas »

When you say:
All target links are listed as shortcuts in directory located in 'C:\My Documents\My CMaps' and can be linked to the web page. Using Mozilla FireFox.
I presume that you mean that you can click on the URL files and the web browser opens. So the URLs are stored correctly.

Seems there is a problem when opening Firefox. Have you tried changing the default to Internet Explorer, just to try if it opens?
junemcw

Post by junemcw »

Sorry for delay in responding.

-Per your last entry... Yes, stored URL's listed in c:\My Documents\My CMaps can be accessed w/o using CMap Tools pgm.
-Internet EXplorer as default browser does not correct problem.

I can save CmapTools working file as htm webpage and then access the web references via browser.
(Recall: error message in Cmap Tools when trying to access website references is:
There is a problem sending the command to the program )

It seems that the inability to link to referenced web sites may have begun after upgrading cmap tools to one of lastest versions of CMap Tools, (I don't use it that frequently)... neither v.5.03 or v.5.04 allow referenced sites to be linked.

My OP system: WinXP, SP(3), 1Gb Ram, using 802.11b/g, TCP/IP, PPPoE but all of fine w/ other pgms.

Thanks for not giving up on me...
June