Error: Unable to Open Resource

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
nickpomponio

Error: Unable to Open Resource

Post by nickpomponio »

After I have been working in CmapTools v6.00 on a Windows 7 machine for a while (15-30 minutes), I get a pop-up error message that says:

Error
Unable to open resource.
Unexpected client error
OK

(I tried attaching a screen capture, but that produced an error!) The message box is modal to CmapTools only. I have to click OK anywhere from two times to a dozen times. Then I have to exit CmapTools completely and restart it in order to continue working; otherwise, the error dialog continues to pop up (even if I don't do anything further with CmapTools).

Thanks for any help,
-Nick
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Error: Unable to Open Resource

Post by cmapadmin »

What were you doing when the pop-up error came up? Were you opening a Cmap?

Can you please include or send us a logfile?
nickpomponio

Post by nickpomponio »

I usually get one when a Cmap is already open. This last time, I believe that I had switched away from CmapTools.

I have attached the three CmapTools log files.

Thanks,
-Nick
Attachments
cmaptools2.log
(199.23 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
cmaptools1.log
(100.74 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
cmaptools0.log
(249.36 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Thanks, we'll look at them carefully.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Were you trying to work with Cmaps outside the Views window, that is, opening and trying to save Cmaps by double-clicking them in the File System or Explorer?
nickpomponio

Post by nickpomponio »

For saving a Cmap, I use the File | Save menu on either the Views window or the window for editing the Cmap.I also use control-S.

For opening a Cmap, I always use the Views window.

I never use Explorer to open, save, or close a Cmap.I don't even know where the files are physically located.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

One more question, which may sound strange. Is your computer in a network where it would be likely somebody is probing the ports/sockets? That is, is it directly connected to the Internet (without a firewall) or is it in a LAN where some user may be trying to break in? The logs shows some strange strings in a socket used by CmapTools for launching the program from the OS.
nickpomponio

Post by nickpomponio »

This is rapidly getting beyond my rudimentary understanding of computer networks :-)

I'm on a university campus behind routers.

Now that you mention it, a couple of times this past month, I received a Windows pop-up warning about duplicate IP numbers. I informed our IT group, and I told them I would let them know if any further warnings were displayed.

If you think that there's something fishy going on, could you tell me what information you determined so that I could provide it to IT to help them track this down?

Thanks for all of your help!!!

-Nick
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Next time this happens (you get the error in CmapTools), turn off the wireless or disconnect the laptop from ethernet. It seems like somebody was probing the ports on your computer, but we can't be sure.

If you want to tell your IT staff, this is what we found:

[On Windows (like this user), CmapTool has a small launcher application that receives the OS-initiated file open request and passes the request info to CmapTools by writing an array of Strings (file paths) via a socket. Since the exception indicates the data received over the socket is not a String array and the user indicates they were not trying to open a .cmap file, I’d guess that the socket is being probed by a network scanner or otherwise hacked.]

But, as I said, that is what it seems like. Could be something else.