CmapTools 6.00.4 for Mac OS Yosemite and dual-monitor setup

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
philippemorin123

CmapTools 6.00.4 for Mac OS Yosemite and dual-monitor setup

Post by philippemorin123 »

Hi!
Cmap Tools 6.00.4 (nor 6.00.3) doesn't work with dual-monitor setup over Mac OS 10.10.2 (Yosemite).
I'm using a MacBook Air mid-2012 (8GB of DDR3 RAM and integrated graphics chipset [Intel HD Graphics 4000]).
I can launch the app on my main screen, but whenever I decide to drag my Cmap Tools' windows out of it, I lose them. You can have a look at the following video for a example. (Sorry for its length.)

http://youtu.be/wBSht1qYM7M

I hope you'll be able to bring multi-monitor support some day, because it's useful when you want to keep a LibreOffice window or browser window open.
acanas

Re: CmapTools 6.00.4 for Mac OS Yosemite and dual-monitor se

Post by acanas »

Interesting. I have two external monitors at work connected to my laptop and CmapTools works fine, I move Iit across monitors without problems using OS X Yosemite, and all previous versions have also worked. At home I also use one external monitor, and it also works fine.
philippemorin123

I'm using a Moshi (brand) Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter... Are you? I never had any problem with other apps.
I had to download something windows-related recently, called "XQuartz" in order to play Fallout 1... Could it be the problem? All other programs run fine with my monitors.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

I have Apple monitors connected directly to the min display port. But I've used adaptors for VGA, HDMI, DVI many times, probably hundreds of times in different places for talks and conferences, and have never had any problem. I know many users who use the Presentation Tool in CmapTools for projecting talks. So it does seem to be something with your setup.
philippemorin123

Strange... Does anybody else have my problem?

I'll investigate.

Maybe this really has something to do with X11 2.7.7.
philippemorin123

I think I fixed my problem. This isn't pretty, but it works. I can't say whether or not it has something to do with me testing sessions with and without "/Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist", but it seems I can now use Cmap Tool on a secondary screen.

Strangely enough, when I drag & drop a Cmap's window to my secondary screen, this window disappear (like you saw in my previous video). However, if I play a little bit with all the windows, I manage to bring Cmap in the foreground again.

You can see for yourself in this new video: http://youtu.be/TuDhPatZLxU
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

Using 6.00.4 and Yosemite. I just tried hooking up my 13" macbook air to my 1200 px by 1920 px external monitor and something funny happened. I was able to move the open cmap file from my air to the external monitor. I was able to extend the width of the file to the full 1920 pxs BUT when I dragged the open window above the px height of my laptop screen (their bottoms were aligned) the widow would jump back down so that the top of the cmap window was aligned with the top of the laptop screen. In other words, I could only get the cmap window to use the bottom 2/3rds of the big external monitor. Very Strange! I too have been using cmaptools for presentations for years (incredible functionality btw) and I've never seen this before.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

dgroos, we were able to reproduce the problem. We'll look into it.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Dgroos, we tracked the problem to a Java 1.7 bug that did not exist in Java 1.6.

The version for OS X 10.7 uses Java 1.6, which needs to be installed separately, and doesn't present this issue.

Rearranging the relative vertical (virtual) positions of the monitors helps.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

Looking into dual java install and see this stackexchange page: http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... 0-yosemite and it says you can have dual Java installed but only 1 JRE, is that a problem? Also, there might be an issue with paths? While I expect to be able to figure this out (with help!), my students who are using macs at home won't have the same tenacity at solving this--any possibilities there's a work around for this java bug?

Thanks,
David