Issues with IHMC v6.01 on Mac with multiple user accounts

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
askilton

Issues with IHMC v6.01 on Mac with multiple user accounts

Post by askilton »

I have just downloaded CmapTools v6.01 on to my Mac which is running OS X Yosemite v10.10.2 and has 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory.

I have two user accounts one for personal use (which is also the admin account) and one for work which is a standard account type. I can't install CmapTools in the applications folder via my work account because it doesn't have admin privileges. So I have installed it via my home account.

After installing CmapTools the application will open from the icon in the dock of my home account but it will not open from the icon in the launch pad - it crashes immediately. If I try to open CmapTools in my work account there is no dock icon installed and again it crashes immediately if I try to open from the launch pad. I like to keep a minimal number of dock icons and if I delete the dock icon in the admin account then CmapTools becomes essentially non-functional.

The updater also crashes immediately if I try to open it from the launch pad. But the uninstaller seems unaffected and opens normally from the launch pad.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
marroyo

Re: Issues with IHMC v6.01 on Mac with multiple user account

Post by marroyo »

OS X doesn’t include all applications in the LaunchPad. If you see your LaunchPad, you can find a folder called “IHMC CmapTools (Other)” with some components or programs inside: “LAforCmapTools”, “Updater”, and “Uninstall CmapTools.” These programs are distributed with CmapTools, but none of them can run CmapTools directly.

To run CmapTools, you need to launch the program:

/Applications/IHMC CmapTools/bin/CmapTools

or the alias:

/Applications/IHMC CmapTools/CmapTools

To include an icon into LaunchPad to run CmapTools follow the steps:

1. Run the “Automator” (/Applications/Automator).
2. Select the type for your document, select “Application”.
3. From the Actions list select: “Launch Application”.
4. From the application list select: “Other”.
5. Select the program: /Applications/IHMC CmapTools/bin/Cmaptools
6. Select the menu option: File – Export…
7. Export As: “CmapTools”, where: “Applications, and press “save” button.
8. Close the “Automator”.

Now you have created a new app in the LaunchPad with the name “CmapTools”, but not with the correct icon. To change the icon, go to /Applications/CmapTools, and over this file press Control-click and select: “Get Info”. Use Finder to locate the folder “/Applications/IHMC CmapTools” then drag and drop any file with the green head over icon located in the upper left corner of the “Get Info” window.

You can see this video with very similar instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daTqnbGvJM4

After you have created an icon to run CmapTools in the LaunchPad, you can remove the alias from the Dock in all users.