Can Cmap read csv or tsv files?

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
eliza15

Can Cmap read csv or tsv files?

Post by eliza15 »

Hi,
is there a possibility to read csv or tsv files with cmap (linux or windows)? And how would that work? How could I "let the csv file know" which direction the arrow is pointing?
Thanks in advance.
Eliza
marroyo

Re: Can Cmap read csv or tsv files?

Post by marroyo »

Hi Eliza,

Yes. CmapTools can import TSV files (Tab Separated Values). Use the option: “File – Import – Propositions as text…”, select your TSV file and press the “Open” button.

If you have this file in Excel:
ExcelData.png
ExcelData.png (6.24 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
Using “Save as Type: Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt) you can generate the file:
TSVData.png
TSVData.png (7.63 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
In CmapTools uses the option: “File – Import – Propositions as text…”, select your TSV file and press the “Open” button.
You will see the following Cmap:
ImportData.png
Marroyo
Fitzig

Post by Fitzig »

Hi,
I just tried to import an Excel-File as you described. But there came an error.
2017-04-01 19_36_34-Proposition aus einer Tabbed Textdatei auswählen.jpg
The original Excel-File is in the Dropbox, as is the text-file. The same error occours when I try to import the file from my desktop.

Can you help me? Thanks very much,
Sincerly Fitzig
Attachments
2017-04-01 19_38_20-IHMC CmapTools & CmapServer Support Forum • Post a reply - Internet Explorer.jpg
2017-04-01 19_38_20-IHMC CmapTools & CmapServer Support Forum • Post a reply - Internet Explorer.jpg (7.37 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
2017-04-01 19_35_52-IHMC CmapTools & CmapServer Support Forum • Post a reply - Internet Explorer.jpg
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Yes, I'm having a problem with this, too.

Cmap 6.0.3 for Windows10, 64-bit

What I'm really looking for is a way to import tabbed text outlines. I don't have Inspiration.

Import from FreeMind would be nice, too.

Recommendations???

Thanks,
Phil Murray
TamingComplexity.org
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Make sure the file is a text file. Tabbed text outlines can be imported.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

If you can share the text file that is giving problems we can look at it.
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

They are definitely tabbed text outlines. I use NotePad++ extensively. After several more tries at matching the example by Marroyo (earlier post), I was able to import a file containing tabbed triplets ("propositions as text").

But my primary interest is importing [text] *outlines* -- single-parent hierarchies, some of which have 5 or more generations of "children". Can you point me to detailed descriptions of the procedures for import (Propositions as text or ???) and format of the tabbed text file for *outlines*? A downloadable tabbed text file that has been shown to work? (As you know, screen grabs can hide subtleties of formatting in text files -- like differences in line-end characters among the different major platforms.)

As a second-day newbie to Cmap, I'm still trying to find my way around available documentation. Apologies for duplicate questions.

Thanks for your help!

Phil Murray
TamingComplexity.org
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Documentation is available at https://cmap.ihmc.us/documentation-support/

Attached are files with an example:
(a) ExportOutline.cmap -- a .cmap file that you can drag-and-drop to the Views window and open and test it out
(b) ExportOutline.jpg -- an image of the .cmap
(c) ExportOutline.txt -- the .txt file that is generated when you export the Cmap as an outline
(d) ExportPorpositions.txt -- the .txt file that is generated when you export the Cmap as propositions

You can try importing the .txt outline file and see that it generates the same as the one enclosed (of course, with an automatic layout)

I've always recommended that you make a Cmap and try exporting it as outline or propositions to get a feel for what comes out.

Hope this helps.
ExportOutline.jpg
Attachments
ExportPropositions.txt
(251 Bytes) Downloaded 195 times
ExportOutline.txt
(672 Bytes) Downloaded 206 times
ExportOutline.cmap
(6.52 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Thanks!

ExportOutline.txt did produce a map.

It's interesting that this is space-indented, not tab-indented like the requirements for importing Propositions. (Both are fine, so I should be able to continue evaluation and using Cmap.)

Phil Murray
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

We'll take a look at it. I thought it was tab-indented.