Link to relative path

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
jessified

Link to relative path

Post by jessified »

Hi!

Is there any way to link to a resource using a relative path to the current resource? I share all my resources over a dropbox with my class, and I'd like to make sure the links aren't broken if I move the root folder, for example. What's the best approach here?

Thanks!
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Link to relative path

Post by cmapadmin »

All links are based on the resource's resource-ID, which is unique for each resource.

Moving the root folder is not a problem as long as you use the option in the Preferences in CmapTools to move it, that way CmapTools will find it again. So resources can be moved around anywhere among the folders in the Views and the links are not broken. We avoid using the path, whether relative or absolute, as moving resources would break links.

If you move the resources within the My Cmaps folder, but not using CmapTools to move them (that is, you move them in the Finder or File explorer, many of the links could be broken, in particular images and videos where the resource-id is not stored within the file itself. When CmapTools launches it indexes all resources. If it finds, for example, an image within a folder where it wasn't when CmapTools closed, it will assign a new resource-id to it. So links to it are now broken. If it finds a Cmap, it will know what its resource-id is since its stored within the Cmap's file.

CmapTools was not designed to share folders via a dropbox. We'd recommend that you use the Cmap Cloud for sharing. Each student could have their own account or you can share the account with them.