Issues with Resources and Math

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
aNaravi

Issues with Resources and Math

Post by aNaravi »

I'm using CmapTools 6.01.01 ob Ubuntu 12.04.
Here are a couple of issues I'm facing:

1) PDFs open in Firefox despite the fact that my default PDF viewer is Document Viewer. In fact, Firefox is not even my default browser! (Its Chrome). There's no way to set a resource's default software through CmapTools either.

2) The Math symbols/syntax is pretty awkward and buggy. Here's an example of what happened what I tried to move to a new line after having used a "subscript"
Selection_001.png
Selection_001.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Issues with Resources and Math

Post by cmapadmin »

1. PDFs are passed on to the Operating System for viewing, so the OS's default may be what is not set correctly.

2. We'll look into the Math in Ubuntu -- thanks for reporting the issue.
aNaravi

Post by aNaravi »

Pretty sure the default has been set to Document Viewer (evince). Here's a screenshot from Ubuntu Tweak
Selection_002.png
I've even tried opening the document from "Views", i.e after adding it to the MyCmaps path. It still tries opening it with Firefox.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

There is no setting in CmapTools, this is passed on to the Operating System. Not much we can do from the CmapTools side, but we'll check.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

I need to correct my message regarding the viewing of PDFs in Linux. We are handling the external viewer differently under Linux.

There is a setting in the cmaptools.cfg file that determines what to do with URLs and resources that we do not handle internally for UNIX and the first option is Firefox:

# ==============================================================================
# Other options
# ==============================================================================
# Linux/Unix only: web browser application name(s)
# The name of the application CmapTools will invoke to open a URL or
# or other type of resource that CmapTools cannot display internally
# Comma-separated list of apps will be tried in order until one succeeds
#
nlk.resourceViewer.externalViewer.linuxAppList=firefox,konqueror,mozilla,netscape,opera

The Unix External viewer is setup to try each in turn, passing the URL (webpage or file URL, with spaces replaced with ‘%20’, as a parameter). Unfortunately, it seems like the ‘Document Viewer’ app on Ubuntu 14.04 and it does not support webpage URLs, so we need to update how we handle LINUX resources.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

We were able to reproduce the Math bug... thanks for reporting it.
aNaravi

Post by aNaravi »

I added "evince" before firefox and it kind of worked - 2 instances of the application were opened, one with the document and one giving the error "Unable to open document" (I'm using Ubuntu 12.04).

When you say "we need to update how we handle LINUX resources" does that mean that all resources on Linux are handled that same way (going through the list in cmaptools.cfg sequentially)? Can I not change the settings so that different resources are handled differently?
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

CmapTools has "viewers" for some types of files. If it doesn't have a viewer for a specific type, in OS X and Windows it passes the file on to the Operating System. With the different variations of Linux its been more problematic. If CmapTools does not have a viewer it uses this list to determine which app to pass the file to. In the case of a PDF, a URL is passed to the browser.

This was not meant to be changed by the user, but you can certainly can try. Let us know how which work and which don't.
aNaravi

Post by aNaravi »

I only modified the default list to check whether CmapTools can pass the resource to Document Viewer. But that's obviously not going to help with all types of resources. Can you tell me where I need to update the "viewers" for specific resources?
acanas

Post by acanas »

CmapTools has viewers for some resources, e.g. images, which cannot be modified by the user. The viewers were not meant to be a user-configurable option. What you see in the configuration file is all that is available for modification by the user.