Edit custom styles

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
nicothespider

Edit custom styles

Post by nicothespider »

Hello, I am new to CmapTool, and I use version 6.01.01 on Windows 10.

Is it possible to edit custom styles?
Example of use :
- I create a new style named "important concept", which has a yellow backgroud.
- I apply this style to some concepts.
- Now I change my mind, and I want a red backgroud for all these important concepts .

How can I do this easily? As in a word processor, I would like that editing the style "important concept" will update all the corresponding concepts. But I cannot find how to do this in CmapTools. Should I create another style and apply it again to every concept? Are there other possibilities?

Thanks for your help
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Edit custom styles

Post by cmapadmin »

At this point you can't edit the named style. But the next version of CmapTools will have a revamped method of defining styles and templates.
singladur

Re: Edit custom styles

Post by singladur »

I have moved from v5 to v6 and I have also noticed this change in style options. I prefer the old way (maybe because I do not know how to use properly the new).

My problem: I create a model of knowledge with plenty of interconnected cmaps. I want to keep the same format for those concepts that are of the same kind. For instance: "Author", "year", "property", etc. Also for those lines I am interested (I like to change the color of the connections if the relation is negative vs positive). So, when I want to create a new cmap from scratch that will be connected with others I would like to format a concept of type "author" as I have been doing in all the other cmaps but among the tens of cmaps I am not sure which one has this kind of concept in order to copy the style. So, now I have to open several cmaps to find the format, copy it and paste.

It is somehow annoying. I would also like as nicothespider suggested having the possibility to change a format once and for all and having all the cmaps updated.

Is there a solution? Is there a way in the new system of styles that I have not discovered?

Thanks in advance.