Can`t install

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Can`t install

Post by cmapadmin »

You are not running the installer from the USB drive, are you? Run it from the hard drive, but select the USB as the destination. Just want to make sure its not a permissions problem.
rpravia

Post by rpravia »

A couple of minutes ago, I ran Winx64CmapTools_v6.01.01_07-23-15.exe as administrator from my computer's hard drive. The initial process --the one prior to starting the actual wizard- went all the way through 100%. This time around it didn't display the error message but it also failed to start the wizard --actually, nothing happened once it reached 100%. I'm not an IT expert, so please pardon me if the following question seems stupid to you: do you think it may have something to do with the registry? I mean, I've tried installing this program so many times already...
marroyo

Post by marroyo »

When you run the installer of CmapTools, you can see the progress bar of InstallAnywhere preparing to install (unpacking java to run the installer); however, InstallAnywhere cannot run Java and finish the installation. The installer never runs and cannot modify your Windows Registry.

Verify what is going on. Try to capture the error using this procedure:

1. Press and hold the Ctrl-key
2. Double-click on the installer.

While holding down the Ctrl-key, the installAnywhere shows its progress bar and you will see a console with error messages after the progress bar reaches 100%.

Please verify if the Path variable in your system has the string: "C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;"

In order to verify, open a Command Prompt in Windows:

1. Press Win+R on your keyboard to open it. Then, type cmd or cmd.exe, and press Enter or click/tap OK.
2. Type the command: "set path" and press enter.
3. Check if you can see: C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;

If you can find it, remove it temporally using this procedure: https://java.com/en/download/help/path.xml and try to install CmapTools again.

marroyo
rpravia

Post by rpravia »

Hi marroyo,

I followed your instructions and indeed I found the following Path variable:

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\

I'm not sure whether you meant to delete the value and keep it empty, or to delete the variable altogether --I'm also not sure the latter is even possible.
marroyo

Post by marroyo »

To remove temporally this string do the following:

1. From the desktop, right click the Computer icon.
2. Choose Properties from the context menu.
3. Click the Advanced system settings link.
4. Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables, find the PATH environment variable and select it. Click Edit.
5. In the Edit System Variable window, remove the string: “C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;” Click OK. Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.
6. Run the CmapTools installer again.

To restore the Path variable after installing CmapTools do the following:

1. From the desktop, right click the Computer icon.
2. Choose Properties from the context menu.
3. Click the Advanced system settings link.
4. Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables, find the PATH environment variable and select it. Click Edit.
5. In the Edit System Variable window, add the string: “C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;” Click OK. Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.

Marroyo
rpravia

Post by rpravia »

...but is it just the "C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;" portion of the variable's whole value that I need to delete, or is it the value's entire string?

Again, the value that's now stored is

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\

If I were to remove just the "C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;" portion, would the new value be,

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\

?
marroyo

Post by marroyo »

Yes. Remove just the "C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;" portion.

This is the transition of your System Path variable:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\

Marroyo
rpravia

Post by rpravia »

Ok, I got good and bad news. The good news is that installing Cmap in a pen drive worked. The bad news is that the procedure you described didn't get the installer to open the wizard. So, how was I able to install Cmap in my pen drive? My hard drive happened to be maxed out --yes, I did free up some space prior to changing the variable's value- so when I pressed and held the Control key and double-clicked on the .exe file, it showed a message saying that my HD was out of space and it prompted me to choose a different location to install the program. Since it gave me the option, I chose my pen drive as the program's location. Thereafter, the installation process went smoothly. So, what do you make of all of this?
marroyo

Post by marroyo »

Your hard disk is full and the installer doesn’t have enough disk space to unpack Java in a temporal folder before loading and running the installer. The installer needs temporally 125 MB to unpack files and prepare to run. CmapTools also requires 200 MB to be installed in your system.

You were able to install in the pen drive because you had enough space to install CmapTools (200 MB) there, and when you deleted some files from your hard drive before running the installer, it gave some space to run the installer but not enough to install CmapTools in the hard drive, for this reason the installer asked you to choose a different location to install the program.

Please open enough disk space in your hard drive and try to install CmapTools as usual.

marroyo
andreasnik

Post by andreasnik »

hi, i also have the same problem. i did what you said but it wasnt successful. i have attached the cmd with error messages after the progress bar reaches 100% and after i remove temporally this string "C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;".
i have win7 64bit. 4gb ram
what else i can do?
please help, iam in the middle of my thesis and i need the cmaps?
Attachments
cmd.png