Which version of v6 best for Mac OSX Lion please?

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
ChrisO

Which version of v6 best for Mac OSX Lion please?

Post by ChrisO »

Apologies if the answer is obvious, but I'm a bit confused and hope you can help me.

I'm running Mac OSX Lion (10.7.5) and already have v1.7 of Java installed. (To be precise: Version 7 Update 80 [build 1.7.0_80-b15], which I installed some weeks ago by downloading the relevant package from Oracle.)

I've read your release notes for the various v6.0x Mac versions of the CmapTools installer - ie versions 6.00.1, 6.00.4 (two variants, MacOSXCmapTools_v6.00.4_02-12-15.zip and MacOSXForJava1.6CmapTools_v6.00.4_02-12-15.zip), 6.01, & 6.01.01 - but am still a bit muddled as to which one I should use.

Can CmapTools make use of my pre-existing Java installation? If so, then which installer should I choose?

If I use a CmapTools installer that installs Java, would this overwrite my current Java files, or does the installer simply place the Java files in the CmapTools' folder (and use them in preference to my current Java installation)?

I hope my questions make sense: I find Java a bit bewildering (especially with Apple having its own variant!)...

Many thanks,

Chris O (UK)
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Which version of v6 best for Mac OSX Lion please?

Post by cmapadmin »

Hi,

Since after Lion Apple stopped including Java as part of their OS X release, we started including Java as part of CmapTools. If you already have Java installed, there shouldn't be any conflict between the two installs, as it stores Java with the CmapTools files. Both of the releases you are referring to where built for Java 6, so you may have problems running them with Java 7. I would recommend installing 6.01.01 and see if it works well. Yes, the changes that Apple have made with Java, first including it as part of the OS release and then removing it, has caused a lot of headaches.
ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Thank you!

Have just tried with 6.01.01, but sadly it crashed as soon as I launched it: if it's any help, the first part of the crash report is below (after I'd tried re-opening the app a few times).

Which version would it be good to try next, please?

Kind regards,

Chris O

--- first part of crash report (as automatically generated by the OS) ---

Process: launchd [1113]
Path: /Applications/CmapTools_v6.01.01_07-23-15.app/Contents/MacOS/CmapTools_v6.01.01_07-23-15
Identifier: iainstall.dda6c534-1ec1-11b2-be59-eb78986748b5
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [124]

Date/Time: 2016-09-20 03:03:40.571 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 137285 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 12
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Anonymous UUID: [...]

Crashed Thread: Unknown

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fff5fc01028

Backtrace not available [...]
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

The one I'd recommend trying is the one we have in the download page at:

http://cmap.ihmc.us/cmaptools/cmaptools-download/
ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Many thanks - the latest version (6.02) seems to work fine!

The only problem I encountered was that at the final stage of the installation the "OK" button (to close the installer's final window) was unresponsive to mouse clicks and required 'clicking' with Enter key.

On then launching the app I had similar problems completing the 'user details form' (ie required using tab & enter keys) and was plagued by various system-wide mouse-related glitches. :( But all were solved when I logged out & rebooted the Mac, which is now behaving properly again, as is CmapTools. :)

So thank you once again!

- Chris O
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Glad it worked! That's old code and I was worried it would give problems with the Java version you are running.