How to change user id on the fly?

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
ErNa

How to change user id on the fly?

Post by ErNa »

I'm using Vers 6.02. I wish to use my user ID on a foreign computer and switch back to the owners user ID when I leave that computer. Or give another user access to my computer and set the current user to his ID and permissions. Is there a method to do this in a simple way? Thanks in advance.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: How to change user id on the fly?

Post by cmapadmin »

Hi,

Hard to follow what you mean, but let's try. The userid+password you provide at the initial dialogue box is used for accessing resources in CmapServer,s and is used as the default metadata for Cmaps you create.

When you access a CmapServer and you provide a different userid+password to perform some action (possibly because your default userid+password did not allow you to perform the action), e.g. edit a Cmap, this userid+password is stored in your profile for use in the future. Next time you access this resource you won't have to provide the userid+password again. So you may have many sets of userid+password in your profile, and these are all used when accessing CmapServer resources. The default userid that you provide when you first launched CmapTools is used as the metadata for your Cmaps.

I you are accessing a folder for which you don't have permissions, in the dialogue box that asks for your userid+password you can click the option to use the userid+password for only this session. So when you close the program, this userid+password is not saved. This would be a way for you to give access to somebody else.

Regarding the metadata of Cmaps created, when you save the Cmap you can change the name and email that are used for that Cmap in particular.

If you are using the Cmap Cloud, its different. The Cmap Cloud is accessed through an email+password combination. And you can go to the Preferences panel and switch to another account, giving somebody else's email+password, and then switch back to your own. When you switch account, you get that other account's Home Folder displayed. Again, when saving a Cmap you can change the metadata for that Cmap (or use the Properties dialogue box at any time).

You always have the option clearing all your userid+password combinations through the Preferences User Info tab, and you can install the software (use Advanced Installation option) so that all user information, including profile, userids and password are erased every time you close the program (useful for shared lab environments).
ErNa

Re: How to change user id on the fly?

Post by ErNa »

OK, that helped, as I understand the mechanism better. I always try to encourage people to use CMapTools, providing a sandbox in a server. When working on a foreign computer I gain access to my own data, e.g. to copy some information to the sandbox, so I miss some simple "log-off" or "change user" mechanism. Anyway, going to preferences is a workaround, that can be used without to much complication.
Many thanks for help. Rainer