Can't install CmapTools on Linux Ubuntu

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
datib

Can't install CmapTools on Linux Ubuntu

Post by datib »

Hi,

I can't install CmapTools on Linux

Here is what happen:

me:~$ chmod +x Linux64CmapTools_v6.03_10-04-17.bin
chmod: impossible d'accéder à 'Linux64CmapTools_v6.03_10-04-17.bin': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
me:~$ sudo ./Linux64CmapTools_v6.03_10-04-17.bin -i GUI
[sudo] Mot de passe de me :
sudo: ./Linux64CmapTools_v6.03_10-04-17.bin : commande introuvable

Do you have a idea about what I've done wrong?
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Can't install CmapTools on Linux Ubuntu

Post by cmapadmin »

Don't understand French, but seems like the chmod did not succeed? Maybe need sudo chmod +x ./Linux64... so it finds the file?
datib

Post by datib »

Thanks to your help I was able to install Cmap tools but the IHMC CmapTools folder is in root so I can't run the program. Any idea of the next step?
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

You probably need to get some help from a Unix/Linux user as you are having issues with permissions in your system, not with CmapTools. Hard to tell where you installed and what permissions the installation has.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

This is the cmaptools launcher icon
This is the cmaptools launcher icon
cmap-tools-logo.jpg (4.02 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
Hi @datib,
These are my notes for installing on Ubuntu 16.04 (and updated to work with Ubuntu 18.04 GNOME and also MATE). Yes, I don't install in the /root directory for exactly that problem. I also slightly change the name of the install folder from "IHMC CmapTools" to "IHMC_CmapTools" to avoid having to type escapes when typing in the paths. I did this on our home computer where multiple accounts needed access to cmaptools and also in the disk image which is used on around 100 clients in our school. In detail, this is what I do:
  1. Find & download the most recent version of CmapTools with a browser: http://cmap.ihmc.us/cmaptools/cmaptools-download/
  2. Open Terminal and move to the directory where the software was just downloaded, I downloaded mine to the desktop :

Code: Select all

cd ~/Desktop
  3. Make the downloaded file 'executable' (but always type in the exact version you have):

sudo chmod +x Linux64CmapTools_v6.03_10-04-17.bin
  4. Now install the software:
    1. Start the installer (but type in the exact version you have):

sudo ./Linux64CmapTools_v6.03_10-04-17.bin
    2. Press "Next"; Select check-box next to "I accept the terms..." and press "Next"; Select "Advanced Configuration" and press "Next"...
    3. Changed install location by typing in: /opt/IHMC_CmapTools then press "Next"
    4. Accept default, "Don't create links" and press "Next"
    5. Everything else continues to be default (maybe 10 more screens). At the "Pre-Installation Summary" press "Install". Once installed, there are a few more screens requiring you to press "OK". On the last screen there will be a "Done" button.
  5. To make a launcher for CmapTools I did the following:
    1. Right click and select, "Save image as..." on the small jpg attached at the top of this forum post--it's a little jpeg of the CmapTools icon. I saved it to my Desktop.
    2. Name it to /opt/IHMC_CmapTools/cmap-tools-logo.jpg:

sudo mv ~/Desktop/cmap-tools-logo.jpg  /opt/IHMC_CmapTools/cmap-tools-logo.jpg
    3. Make sure that root owns the icon file:

sudo chown root:root  /opt/IHMC_CmapTools/cmap-tools-logo.jpg
    4. Then go to the directory where the launchers (that is, the .desktop files) generally reside:

cd /usr/share/applications/
    5. Then make a new blank text file:

sudo touch CmapTools.desktop
    6. Then open that file in edit mode...

sudo nano CmapTools.desktop
    7. And then make it say exactly the following:

[Desktop Entry]
      Icon=/opt/IHMC_CmapTools/cmap-tools-logo.jpg
      Name=CmapTools
      Type=Application
      Exec=/opt/IHMC_CmapTools/bin/CmapTools
      Terminal=false
      Categories=Utility;Application;
    Now, all users should be able to find the application by typing ‘Cma’ into Dash (the finder). Good luck.
    (When installing in 18.04 MATE it seemed I had to sudo chmod 664 /opt/IHMC_CmapTools/cmap-tools-logo.jpg and then restart the computer for the desktop icon to appear.)
Last edited by dgroos on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Thanks a lot. I'm sure it will be a lot of help.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

I just used these directions exactly as they are to successfully install CmapTools v. 6.03 on the soon to be released Ubuntu 18.04 and it installed perfectly :-) (of course note that in the commands involving the cmaptools download file I used the exact name of the new file).