opening public IHMC place overwhelms computer

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
dgroos

opening public IHMC place overwhelms computer

Post by dgroos »

A common problem I've encountered over the years when we start to use cmaptools in class is students overwhelming cmaptools. Upon going to "Places", the student opens one of the default public places, then waits... after a while they call me over. When I get there I try and click on some other part of cmaptools but finally have to close cmaptools and start over. I can experiment with this if needed, didn't find this as an already-reported problem. Using Ubuntu 16.04 and current cmaptools.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: opening public IHMC place overwhelms computer

Post by cmapadmin »

Recommend you switch to using the Cmap Cloud, where you don't have to receive the long list of folders.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

I'll look into this. Is there a comparison between CmapServer and Cmap Cloud? Thanks.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

The CmapTools in the Cloud is a web cloud to CmapServer(s). Accessing the Cmap Cloud from the CmapTools client basically gives you a folder in the Cmap Cloud CmapServer(s). See the videos at:

https://cmap.ihmc.us/docs/cmap-cloud-help
https://cmap.ihmc.us/docs/cmaptools-help-videos

Sharing is easier if done from the web interface.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

Cmap Cloud seems a nice option for individual users, I will recommend it to people and if I'm at a cmaptool-less computer am happy that I've got an option.

I don't see how I could do much of what I do with my classes now however, e.g. create a shared file structure for my classes each year, allowing me to quickly drill down to specific students' or teams' maps. I wonder if a student could synchronize her/his class' folder (on a CmapServer that I administer) with her/his Cmap Cloud account? That would be a killer feature as students could then map on any computer w/out downloading/installing/setting up cmaptools yet I could also set up parallel structure in all my classes and control permissions on that space.

Another feature I'd miss is the simultaneous editing they sometimes do.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

The Cmap Cloud is a CmapServer. The class folder should be on the Cmap Cloud, under your home folder. You can then share with them.

So you:

1. Create the folder for your class in your folder structure in the Cloud.
2. Share the class folder with the students (need to have their email address -- right click on the folder and add them to the list). You do this using the web version (right-click on the folder and select Share).
3. The students must create a Cloud account (with the email address they gave you), which can be done either on the web or in the CmapTools client program.
4. Students must go to the web Cmap Cloud and accept you in their Cmappers list (accept your share).
5. From there on, when they click on the Cmap Cloud icon in the Views, they will see this class folder. They (with appropriate permissions) can create their own subfolder inside the class folder.
6. They can also get to their class folder through a web browser
7. You can change the class folder permissions by using the CmapTools desktop client Permissions -- gives you more control than the Cmap Cloud version.

Hope this helps.

The synchronous collaboration (simultaneous editing) can only be done right now using the desktop version.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

Thanks for all this info. Looks like there is a solution to the main issue of creating a shared file structure for the classes. Last questions for now :-)

It looks like a main difference between these 2 services is that the current Places structure is an internet-browseable file structure like the, I believe it was called, Gopher-net, while the cmap cloud must be explicitly shared with users more like google-apps. Correct? Are there thoughts for tying in an LDAP/AD authentication system into the Cloud like can be done with a CmapServer (and also with google apps)?
The Cmap Cloud is a CmapServer. The class folder should be on the Cmap Cloud, under your home folder. You can then share with them.
OK. Are you folks considering the possibility for an administrator of a cmapserver to make their own individually-run cmapserver accessible through the cmapcloud interface?
1. Create the folder for your class in your folder structure in the Cloud.
2. Share the class folder with the students (need to have their email address -- right click on the folder and add them to the list).
Are there plans to allow import of csv files w/email and user names?

5. From there on, when they click on the Cmap Cloud icon in the Views, they will see this class folder. They (with appropriate permissions) can create their own subfolder inside the class folder.
6. They can also get to their class folder through a web browser
7. You can change the class folder permissions by using the CmapTools desktop client Permissions -- gives you more control than the Cmap Cloud version.
Tried to give editing permissions to 'everyone' for the contents of a folder, then went to that link in a different browser hoping that someone with that link could edit the map but no luck. Is that possible? Or maybe I need to be signed-in as a cmap cloud user to be considered to be in the 'everyone' group?

Also an issue: I created a cmap file in the cloud via the desktop app, saved it and then checked it out in a browser view. Then I edited it via desktop app, saved it, then refreshed the web cmap view (via browser) of that cmap file. The changes do not seem to update on the web page thought the small icon does show that update--https://imagebin.ca/v/3h3yRQOPfqHg.

Tried closing/opening desktop app cmaptools went to cloud in Views, opened that map but it showed the original (non-edited version) of the map! However, now when I edit it, save it, everything works as expected. Not sure if this is a bug or if I was not using it correctly.

In conclusion, I'll be interested to see where this is next summer to prepare for the following year. Is there an updates-email list for the cmap cloud?
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

It looks like a main difference between these 2 services is that the current Places structure is an internet-browseable file structure like the, I believe it was called, Gopher-net, while the cmap cloud must be explicitly shared with users more like google-apps. Correct? Are there thoughts for tying in an LDAP/AD authentication system into the Cloud like can be done with a CmapServer (and also with google apps)?
The Cmap Cloud uses an LDAP server for authentication.
OK. Are you folks considering the possibility for an administrator of a cmapserver to make their own individually-run cmapserver accessible through the cmapcloud interface?
No, that's not a possibility for now. The web editor portion is available for embedding for a license fee.
Are there plans to allow import of csv files w/email and user names?
Its in our list of features to add.
Tried to give editing permissions to 'everyone' for the contents of a folder, then went to that link in a different browser hoping that someone with that link could edit the map but no luck. Is that possible? Or maybe I need to be signed-in as a cmap cloud user to be considered to be in the 'everyone' group?
Yes, "everyone" means everyone with an account in the Cmap Cloud.
Also an issue: I created a cmap file in the cloud via the desktop app, saved it and then checked it out in a browser view. Then I edited it via desktop app, saved it, then refreshed the web cmap view (via browser) of that cmap file. The changes do not seem to update on the web page thought the small icon does show that update--https://imagebin.ca/v/3h3yRQOPfqHg.
Can't see how this could happen. Its only one single Cmap in the CmapServer. If you saved it, and opened it in another browser, it *has* to show the updated version as there is no other version of the Cmap.
In conclusion, I'll be interested to see where this is next summer to prepare for the following year. Is there an updates-email list for the cmap cloud?
We haven't been very good at updating our mailing list. We should.

http://cmap.ihmc.us/phplist/
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

Thanks for the great products, they help me teach my students.