Cannot Create Custom Style.

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
Narcoleptic

Cannot Create Custom Style.

Post by Narcoleptic »

Hi!

Have been using cmap tools for years on and off but would not call myself an advanced user.

After recently installing the software (v.6.03) again on my new computer i ra[n into trouble trying to create a custom style (or copy the one i always tend to use really). This do not seem to work like in the help document any more, since when i get to the step "To give a name to the style used by the Cmap items you selected, left-click the arrow at the bottom portion of the "Styles" window." there simply is no arrow to click, and stumbling around the available options have not led to a solution.

I must admit i never found this process very intuitive, but now im at a loss, since the method in help seem outdated.
To clarify - i remember it working according to the description in "Help", but it no longer seem to. Please advice.

Best regards,

/N
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot Create Custom Style.

Post by cmapadmin »

Hi

We moved to the new Templates as a replacement to Named Styles. You may want to try them. See for examaple:

https://cmap.ihmc.us/docs/cmaptools-hel ... #templates

https://cmap.ihmc.us/docs/cmaptools-hel ... letemplate

To simplify the Palette, we made the display of Named Styles in the Style Palette an option. Go to the Preferences Panel, and under Edit Preferences select "Show Named Styles in the Style Palette".
Narcoleptic

Post by Narcoleptic »

That did it.

Thanks so much for your quick help - not to mention providing this great tool to begin with! :D
Narcoleptic

Post by Narcoleptic »

Ok, kinda same thing again, but worse:

I have a default style saved since.. ever. It used to be default for new cmaps, but no longer.

Trying to import it to new cmap result in "file does not contain valid style".

(Looking for "Preferences panel" to "Show Named Styles in the Style Palette" as advised above btw = there IS NO SUCH PANEL???)

"New Template from Cocept Map" and ticking "Set as Default" seem to work. A new named template appear. BUT when i apply it it LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE OBJECTS THAT WERE ON THE MAP - size, font, color, shading - literally EVERYTHING is different!!! Same when creating a new cmap. :O

Since i was running v 6.03 Win 64-bit i wanted to update to 6.03.01 just to be sure. And - OMG! - the ONLY way is to fill in form, download and do a full reinstall!?! Whyyy no "update button i app? Or better still automatic checking?

It's like - how can it be so HARD and un intuitive to just choose how you want objects to appear, and make this default in all new maps?
This have always been weirdly hard to figure out, but now well neigh impossible!

I have A LOT of cmaps with for me vital knowledge. But start to feel this app is not supported in a viable way. Thats.. bad. :/
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

[ (Looking for "Preferences panel" to "Show Named Styles in the Style Palette" as advised above btw = there IS NO SUCH PANEL???) ]

Its under the Cmap Editing entry. Right there, just checked it.

[ "New Template from Cocept Map" and ticking "Set as Default" seem to work. A new named template appear. BUT when i apply it it LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE OBJECTS THAT WERE ON THE MAP - size, font, color, shading - literally EVERYTHING is different!!! Same when creating a new cmap. :O ]

Strange. Can you send us an example of a Cmap that you used? If you have many concepts with different colors, for example, it won't be able to determine which color to use as default.

[Since i was running v 6.03 Win 64-bit i wanted to update to 6.03.01 just to be sure. And - OMG! - the ONLY way is to fill in form, download and do a full reinstall!?! Whyyy no "update button i app? Or better still automatic checking?]

Just type in the email address, that should do. Automatic updating unfortunately broke down due to the installation software we are using.

I use the Templates all the time and it seems to work fine. You do need to have a uniform style throughout the Cmap for it to be able to determine what style you want.