Printing - Margin Setup

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
Joc123

Printing - Margin Setup

Post by Joc123 »

I have Cmaptools version 6.03 and working off of a Mac High Sierra

I have a printing problem - I noticed that the print preview had 025 inches and wanted to make it 0
However, it won't take my 0 and now it won't even go back to 025 (1/4 inch) - the least amount I can get it to show is 1 inch
It seems stuck!
any ideas?
Thanks!
rcarff

Re: Printing - Margin Setup

Post by rcarff »

You are correct in that the dialog will not take 0, but it will take 0.25 (1/4 inch). Also, if you enter '025' instead of '0.25' (notice the decimal) then it will not accept the value since 025 is 25 inches and is too big of a margin for the print area. If you want a very small margin, you can enter a small number close to 0 like 0.01. There is also a bug in the dialog where it only registers changes to the margin when you add text. If you delete text, then it is not registering the change. If you notice the preview area change when you change the margin, then the value will be accepted.
Joc123

Post by Joc123 »

Thanks for a quick reply...however...it doesn't work :-( I had put in all sorts of combinations including 0.XX but I can't get it to show smaller than 1 inch. Actually, even when I type in 0.25 it shows 2 inches...
rcarff

Post by rcarff »

The other issue may be the printer you have selected is telling CmapTools that it cannot have a margin less than one inch. Try this. Open your map in CmapTools and then open the Print Preview dialog. Press the 'Page Setup' button to bring up OS X's Page Setup dialog and change the 'Format For:' value from your printer to "Any Printer" then click 'OK'. Now back in the Print Preview dialog, try to change the margin and see if the visuals change accordingly. Then click the 'Print' button on the bottom right of the Preview dialog and in the bottom left of the 'Print' dialog that comes up, click the 'PDF' button and then 'Open in Preview'. Let me know if the PDF shown in Preview has the margins you expect.
Joc123

Post by Joc123 »

I can't get the dialog box to retain any changes i.e. I change to Any printer, click OK, go back in the dialog box and it has reverted back to my printer.
I used to be able to print at 0.25 (I had never gone into the printer setup before today) but did notice that that is what it said when I first went there to change it earlier today.
rcarff

Post by rcarff »

The dialog stores the last values it recognized in a preferences file, so let's remove them and see if it goes back to 0.25.

First quit CmapTools and then open an OS X terminal window (command line) and enter the following commands. The first one back-ups your current file and the second opens the file so you can edit it:

cp ~/Library/Preferences/CmapTools/profile.xml ~/Library/Preferences/CmapTools/profile.xml.saved
open -a TextEdit ~/Library/Preferences/CmapTools/profile.xml

In the text editor that should open up, look for lines similar to the following, remove them, and then save and close the file:

<property name="printer.dpi.value">
<object>rO0ABXNyABFqYXZhLmxhbmcuSW50ZWdlchLioKT3gYc4AgABSQAFdmFsdWV4cgAQamF2YS5sYW5n
Lk51bWJlcoaslR0LlOCLAgAAeHAAAAJY</object>
</property>
<property name="printer.page.format">
<string>pfs:1:612.0:792.0:7.2E-6:7.2E-6:611.9999856:791.9999856</string>
</property>

Now restart CmapTools and see if your print preview values have gone back to normal.

If you have any issues with CmapTools starting up, you can put the saved profile back by running this command:

cp ~/Library/Preferences/CmapTools/profile.xml.saved ~/Library/Preferences/CmapTools/profile.xml