Unable to delete Public IHMC places

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
dgroos

Unable to delete Public IHMC places

Post by dgroos »

Today in class students used CmapTools to add our CmapServer. Adding the server went well. What didn't go well was trying to delete the IHMC public places. Something I saw on many computers was that when a student clicked on the "Places" icon, instead of the expected 4 IHMC servers, it looked like there was a duplicate of each one making 8 servers. When trying to delete them only 4 would delete, leaving 4 behind in the "places" view. When looking into some students home folders: /home/username/.cmaptools/servers.xml many of these files would contain around 100 entries, headed by a line like this, showing both internet and local addresses:
<server-entry serviceType="cmapV3" ip="184.182.233.178" port="443" userAdded="false" timestamp="1538574778686" >
<server-entry serviceType="cmapV3" ip="192.168.1.10" port="4447" userAdded="false" timestamp="1538574778688" >
<server-entry serviceType="cmapV3" ip="0.0.0.0" port="4447" userAdded="false" timestamp="1538574778638" >
I noticed that my servers.xlm file only had 5 entries (the 4 standard IHMC places and ours).

Is this maybe a permissions issue or firewall or?
Thanks,
David
(clients running CmapTools v. 6.0.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 MATE)
dgroos

Re: Unable to delete Public IHMC places

Post by dgroos »

Can't delete Places
Can't delete Places
It's strange, sometimes during the same class period one student will have a normal experience going to the Cmap Places, being able to delete the ihmc servers and add our CmapServer, and not too many minutes later, a student across the class will get a screen as shown in the following picture and be unable to delete the unneeded servers.

And sometimes, when going to add a Place, only the ihmc places will show up in the list and we have to type in the address of our server. I don't understand how we could get such a diverse experience when students are coming from the same operating system (Ubuntu 18.04), in the same computer lab, and basically the same configurations. Any idea where I should look to investigate?

And I wonder if it's related to the problem where students will sometimes lose the Place they added, and will have to again add it. At the start of the year it's common that a student will try to open up a file from their history, but it won't open because it's was located on a server that is no longer part of their setup so I help them add back our Place. I tell them that this happens when they log out without closing CmapTools first, but that's just a guess.