Window-management issues in linux cmaptools

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
acanas

Re: Window-management issues in linux cmaptools

Post by acanas »

David,

Thanks for your prompt response. Some of the 'new features' and issues you found are due to the switch in Java VM, nothing we did. So your feedback is very welcome.

--Issue with splash screen hanging around when user logs in for the first time and registration screen stuck behind this--RESOLVED!

Good, this was our main concern.

--After registering, closing the initial cmap file that automatically opens, one sees the Views dialog box. I clicked on Places and it (as expected) opened up in icon view. However, the --button to change to tree view was not visible until I maximized the Views windows--that was a momentary problem.

OK, we need to look into this. Shouldn't happen.

--I found that when I tried to switch back from tree view to icon view after having opened a few levels down, this change-view button didn't work--didn't toggle between these two views. Honestly though, I don't make use of the icon view (though do appreciate it when I do a search).

Again, shouldn't happen...

--Looks like when a cmap is full screen, that both on contextual menus as well as the menus at the top, that these menus don't have a black border, delineating the menu box. Not a problem, but unexpected.

So, issues with the Linux GUI continue...

--Checked and the problem still exists with, selecting all connections, changing arrow type with the styles palette and subsequently losing ability to type into bubbles. However, the work around, of closing the styles palette and reopening it allows one to regain ability to type into the bubbles.

This is one we are still looking at...

thanks.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

I went to my class this morning and installed beta3 onto the Ubuntu LTSP 5 (thin client) setup. This is not trivial but has become so with the simple copy/paste I can do from the instructions I put on my blog (and have copied to this forum). I installed it with the hybrid "localapps" setup. Anyway, I installed it and things went smoothly with only a single, non-fatal error (I can retrieve/send it to you if it's needed). I checked the menus and they appear completely normal, both menus accessed from the top panel and by right-clicking i.e. the contextual menus. Excellent! I'll continue testing with the not-being-able-to-type-into-the-bubbles and let you know.

Also, another bug I hadn't mentioned because I figured it was just present in a thin-client setup was a printing problem where I could print from CmapTools: I'd have to export a Cmap to an image then print the image. However, now I am able to print directly from cmaptools!

I'm wondering what other things I might be able to do with Java 1.6? Also, does it require more resources--CPU or RAM?

Thanks for your work!
David
acanas

Post by acanas »

Glad to hear its working well. Shouldn't require more RAM or CPU resources.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

It sure would be nice to no longer have that above-mentioned problem where one can't click into a bubble and type unless going through the awkward work-around. Is there anything I could do to help accelerate addressing that issue?

As always, thanks,
David