Cmap Tools won't execute properly on Windows Vista and XP

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
PaulReeves

Cmap Tools won't execute properly on Windows Vista and XP

Post by PaulReeves »

On laptops - one running Vista, the other Win XP Pro; both with version 5.03 both newly installed. Memory on Vista system is 1Gb, on XP system is 512Mb. Both running with latest Windows updates as of May 1. Both show same behaviour of Cmap.

I have been using and bragging about Cmap for so long (since ver 3.8?) that I forgot my ID and password and had to re-register. V3.8 on the XP system ran flawlessly & V4.18 on the Vista system until about May 1. Since then, when updating existing Maps or creating one from scratch I see:
- after double clicking to create a concept or choosing an existing one, the "popup" arrow box above the concept will not persist and disappears almost instantaneously, therefore not allowing any creation of links
- selecting a different concept box, causes the "popup" arrow box to momentarily appear above the previous concept box
- attempting to delete a concept box (delete key or sub menu choice) causes the interior text to dissappear but the concept box persists
- and other strange behaviour

It is possible the poor behaviour on the Vista system started after I updated my Cmap Profile to my new business name and email, yet I was still able to update my existing maps.

When I attempted to work on my existing v4.18 maps with my XP system (v3.8), Cmap worked to create new maps but started strange behaviour while updating the existing maps.

To deal with these issues, I uninstalled Cmap on both systems and re-installed V5.03 on both. On the Vista system I have removed Cmap and re-intalled several times while cleaning my registry and re-starting to attempt to isolate the cause. No success.

Thoughts?
PaulReeves
marroyo

Re: Cmap Tools won't execute properly

Post by marroyo »

Hi Paul,

Please, send me the log file of the CmapTools on Vista, and XP. See "Where can I find the log files of CmapTools?" in the FAQ.

Download CmapTools v5.03 again, to discriminate a corrupt installer. Then uninstall CmapTools, delete the previous CmapTools profile, and install again CmapTools v5.03.

To delete the previous CmapTools profile, in Windows Vista execute in the command prompt:

erase c:\Users\<your-user-id>\AppData\Roaming\CmapTools

To delete the previous CmapTools profile, in Windows XP execute in the command prompt:

erase c:\Documents and Settings\<your-user-id>\Applications Data\CmapTools

Mario Arroyo
PaulReeves

Post by PaulReeves »

Mario; Thanks for your prompt reply!
Before I bother you further, I have more insight now on my problems. :D

I now have V5.03 executing properly on my XP machine. It appears that the Remote Administration service that I use (http://www.radmin.com by Famatech LLC) was interfering. Once I stopped that service from running, Cmap started working properly.
Do you have any ideas why this would be so?
Since you mention erasing previous profiles, it is interesting to note that my old (v3.8) profile is still active on this system too.
Is there a relationship between the Profile and the correct execution of the program?

Unfortunately, the same solution has not worked on my Vista :evil: machine.
My next attempt will be to follow your instructions re: erasing the profile and re-installing, and have my network connection (wireless) disabled. The last time Cmap (v4.18) was executing properly on the Vista machine I was not using my wireless. And it seems that communications ports, etc. might be a factor here given my XP system behaviour.

Thoughts?
Cheers, Paul
PaulReeves

Post by PaulReeves »

Mario:
No luck with my retry on the Vista system. (I was hoping having no communication with my home office Lan would ensure the Remote Administration issue could not occur. My guess is that there is a port conflict between it and Cmap Tools.)

Here is my Vista system log file as requested.
To get this I:
  • uninstalled Cmap Tools
  • deleted the folder containing my profile (from User\Roaming\etc.)
  • deleted the prior log file folder
  • restarted my system
  • installed Cmap Tools v5.03
  • allowed my Windows Firewall to not block Java 2 Platform Standard Edition binary
  • created new profile entries
  • attempted to create a new map "untitled 1"
  • for each double click to create a new concept the effect (again) was to have the "popup" for connecting arrows immediately disappear leaving the question marks inside the concept oval selected (as if I had double clicked again to change the text)
  • tried multiple times to "grab" the arrows before they disappeared on several more concept boxes
  • exited the program
Through this time I was connected via wireless to my LAN router and my XP laptop which runs dial-up :lol: internet connection sharing and was connected to the internet (so I could send you this)

Hope something in this gives you a clue as to what I can try next. :)
Cheers, Paul
PaulReeves

Post by PaulReeves »

Trying the attachment log file again. I am getting the error "The extension log is not allowed"/ "The extension is not allowed" / "The extension txt is not allowed" / "The extension 1 is not allowed"......
What file name is allowed?
rcarvajal

Post by rcarvajal »

@PaulReeves:

Please zip the CmapToolsLogs folder and create a .zip file, the ZIP files are allowed as attachment.
Rodrigo Carvajal
PaulReeves

Post by PaulReeves »

Thank you Rodrigo!
Here goes.
Attachments
cmaptools0.zip
(14.9 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
PaulReeves

Post by PaulReeves »

Hello;
Did my log file help with my issue?
Is there any other information you need?
Is there any other trick I can try?
Thanks, Paul
marroyo

Post by marroyo »

Hi Paul,

Please, send me screenshots (Alt-PrintScreen) to illustrate the abnormal behavior, and I will try to understand what happens in your computer.

Install CmapTools again, but this time install in your home directory, and not in “Program Files”, for example: try install CmapTools in:

C:\Users\musiqclub\IHMC CmapTools

Run CmapTools from this new folder and let me know how works.

Mario Arroyo
PaulReeves

Post by PaulReeves »

Hi Mario:
I uninstalled Cmap Tools and reinstalled in my Documents folder: C:\Users\musiqclub\Documents\bin\CmapTools.exe. There was no difference in operation.

As for screenshots: there is nothing to send you since Cmap doesn't work. I can get a new map window or open an old map, but there isn't a way to show you that selecting a concept has no effect except to show the text highlighted after the linking arrows disappear as I described before.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks, Paul