Arrows connecting two concepts

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
wyndham

Arrows connecting two concepts

Post by wyndham »

I like the arrows connecting two concepts to always show. However, they shows when I draw them up vertically, laterally, and diagonally. But when I draw them down, the arrows don't show. Also in the style window the connection direction is greyed out. TIA for your help.
rcarvajal

Re: Arrows connecting two concepts

Post by rcarvajal »

@wyndham:

By default, concept maps are read from top to bottom. So in general, if a proposition is read from top to bottom it should make sense not to have the arrow head. When the proposition is read from the bottom up, then arrows are needed to indicate the direction.

CmapTools, by default, will only show arrows when the proposition is to be read from the bottom up (or sideways). If the proposition was created in such a way that it reads from the bottom up, then it won't display the arrows.
Also in the style window the connection direction is greyed out
You can change the behavior of arrows that point to concepts in propositions by first making sure that the linking lines with the arrows that you want to change are selected before trying to modify the direction they point using the Styles palette. The style palette options can change this behavior. On the "line" tab, the bottom set of icons control this. If you select your whole map, and click on one of the three icons to the right of this bottom set, you can have the arrows show always, only up, or never. The icon on the lower left allows you to have double arrow. See, for images of this, the help page on arrows (also available on the software's help window):

The CmapTools Help has more on this: http://cmap.ihmc.us/Support/Help/. The Help is also part of the CmapTools application. Look for the entry titled, "Add Arrows to Linking Lines".

By the way, to change the "direction" of a proposition, select the linking line, right-click, and select "Reverse Direction".
Rodrigo Carvajal
wyndham

Re: Arrows connecting two concepts

Post by wyndham »

Thank you Mr. Carvajal, I appreciate your help very much. Wish you the best.