Wrapping and Saving

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
wburkett

Wrapping and Saving

Post by wburkett »

There are two very simple things that I can't figure out how to do in CmapTools:

(1) I have a long concept name -- how do I make it wrap so I don't have a box that takes up half page?

(2) How to I save a cmap file to a particular directory/folder? The Location drop-down box doesn't let me select anything but "My Cmaps" and the folder-up arrow next to it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do these things?

Thanks - Bill
jarkko

Re: Wrapping and Saving

Post by jarkko »

1) Type enter where you need the linewrap
2) CmapTools saves exclusively to 'My Cmaps' -folder and its' subfolders. You can change this folder from Edit>Preferences in 'Views - Cmaptools' -window.

-Jarkko

Ps. I (too) wish it was possible to create new folders in 'Save as...' -navigation in addtition to creating them in 'Views - CmapTools' ;)
--
CmapTools 5.04.01
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Core i7-4510U 2.00/2.60ghz
RAM 8gb
wburkett

Post by wburkett »

Thanks, Jarkko

Enter for a line wrap! Doh!!!!! Hidden right there in the open!

The design decision to save cmaps exclusively in the "My Cmaps" folder seems very limited, shortsighted, and just-plain-dumb - and unlike any other program I've ever used. Why on earth would the designers/programmers limit it in this way? My guess is has to do with Cmap sharing and the Cmap server, though I really wonder how many people use this feature. I don't - I'm just a standalone user creating my own maps and the inability to save my cmap files with the projects that they're associated with is really aggravating.

Bill
freakshadow4

Post by freakshadow4 »

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, but I also found the wrapping issue annoying. However, it seems to rectify things if you

File > Export CMap as > Propositions as text...,
then open your text file in Excel,
then resave the Excel file as text (eg with a different version number)
then reopen the new version through the Views - CMap Tools window:
File > Import > Propositions as text...

You'll have to Ctrl + L to rearrange the layout. It's a wee bit of a convoluted process, but it seems to work for me, although I'm not sure why or how!

I have to say I'm digging this programme! The more I use, the more I like!

Thanks to all involved, and thanks to those who've posted on these forums so far!
freakshadow4

Post by freakshadow4 »

Just spotted that the Export / Import method does not work if you've been using the "Shift+" method for creating links without propositions. (The text file isn't in the right format if the second column is blank).

In these cases, it may be worth doing a Find & Replace and swapping all the "????"s for a single space to maintain the three column format in the Excel text file.

Hope that makes sense!