moving Cmaps from a CMap server to My CMaps and to USB stick

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
philipjones

moving Cmaps from a CMap server to My CMaps and to USB stick

Post by philipjones »

I often have to download a collaboratively created Knowledge Map held on one an IHMC CMap server to My CMaps and then onto a USB stick for use on another computer from which I can't directly access the CMap servers.

When I do the copy from the server to My CMaps I am overwriting the old version in the My Cmaps area. It would be really useful if there was an option where it would overwrite CMaps only where they've been updated or where new resources have been added, but ignore CMaps and resources which haven't changed (i.e. same size and last updated time). This would substantially speed up the process, which currently involves sitting around for over 30 minutes, clicking on yes to all when it prompts me to do so (with numbing regularity :( )

Is there a better way of doing this? If not, could this functionality suggested above be added.

Many thanks,

Phil
philipjones

Re: moving Cmaps from a CMap server to My CMaps and to USB stick

Post by philipjones »

PS I am using v5.02
rcarvajal

Re: moving Cmaps from a CMap server to My CMaps and to USB stick

Post by rcarvajal »

@philipjones:
It would be really useful if there was an option where it would overwrite CMaps only where they've been updated or where new resources have been added, but ignore CMaps and resources which haven't changed (i.e. same size and last updated time).
CmapTools has a function called "Publish", it works as you had described but upgrading knowledge models from "My Cmaps" to a CmapServer. What you need is the other way, from a CmapServer to "My Cmaps". Detailed information about "Publish" can be found in the white paper titled "Support for Constructing Knowledge Models in CmapTools".

If in both computers you set up the USB drive as the root folder of "My Cmaps" (in the Views window go to Edit / Preferences ... / General), then you will always have an updated version of your concept maps and resources on your USB drive. Then, when you finish your "session" in the computer with access to the internet (in other words, with access to the CmapServer) you can "Publish" the content of your "My Cmaps" to the CmapServer. I haven't been in this scenario (having a USB drive as "My Cmaps" in two different computers and "publishing"), so I'm not 100% whether or not it is going to work.
Rodrigo Carvajal