Instructions

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
worths1

Instructions

Post by worths1 »

Is there one comprehensive explanation for installing CMapServer? I assume there is but I can't find it. Here's what I've done so far:

1. I've purchased webhost service with a dedicated ip.
2. I'm in the process of requesting that the required ports be opened at that webhost.
3. I've downloaded the .bin files for both the server and the admintools.
4. I've read a lot, including but not limited to the following helpful pages:
a. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1183
b. http://cmapskm.ihmc.us/servlet/SBReadRe ... e=htmltext
c. http://cmap.ihmc.us/download/dl_CmapSer ... Plat=Linux
d. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=234
5. I Googled "serverconfig.txt CMapServer" and downloaded someone else's config file to use as a template.

After all of this, I have learned a lot but questions remain. I will ask them here if needed, but I am hoping that there exists an explanation -- maybe a knowledge model -- that outlines the installation process, explains the configuation settings, anticipates common troubles, describes the consequences of running as a daemon vs. as a service, explains how to use the admintool, etc. If so, please point it out. If not, I'll ask here and I'll help you put together a knowledge model if I can and you are interested.
worths1

Re: Instructions

Post by worths1 »

Question 1:

I'm using SSH/Shell access to install. As best I can determine from the instructions given, I should include serverconfig.txt and not InstallCmapServer.properties to configure the program. How do I ensure that the install "sees" the file?

Question 2:

Where is an example serverconfig.txt? The one I found has an uncommented server.id parameter. I don't know how to set it. (Despite the commenting, I have questions about other settings, too. I'll ask those later.)

Question 3:

I gave it a dry run without any configuration set up. Here's what happened.

./LinuxCmapServer_v5.04.03_05-13-11.bin -i console

Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH
environment variable. You must install a VM prior to
running this program.

Do I need to request that the webhost add a path to the Java virtual machine or is this a setting in serverconfig.txt?
acanas

Post by acanas »

Are you running the installer with a GUI interface? This is the recommended (easiest) procedure. If you run the installer, it includes a Java VM in the installation file. The serverconfig.txt file is generated by the program. You can afterwards edit it to modify any parameters. The AdminTools for the remote monitoring (log), shutdown, and changing some of the parameters.
worths1

Post by worths1 »

Thank you for your reply. This is a remote webhost (bluehost). I assume I can only use the command line to install the program.
acanas

Post by acanas »

What you need to use is the silent or the command-line (console) installation of the CmapServer. An unfinished CmapServer installation manual can be downloaded at

ftp://ftp.ihmc.us/DownloadCmapTools/doc ... er.doc.zip

Take a look at the appropriate sections.
worths1

Post by worths1 »

I think I've identified the problem. Bluehost (and others) don't support server-side Java on shared servers. I didn't realize it was required to run CmapServer. Maybe your installation requirements should include some mention of it.
acanas

Post by acanas »

Both the CmapTools client and Server are written in Java.