Two CmapServers replacing each other in Cmaptools Places

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
jobcespedes

Two CmapServers replacing each other in Cmaptools Places

Post by jobcespedes »

Hello:

We are moving a cmapserver to another server. Last week both servers were up and running the same cmap data, except that the new server had a different name and IP configure in serverconfig.txt.

The problem was that when adding the new server in CmapTools Places, it replaced the old server name and ip in cmaptools. We couldn’t have both severs as two different places in CmapTools as one got replaced by the other.

We need that in order to do some tests before changing DNS and shutting down old server.

Any help is appreciated
acanas

Re: Two CmapServers replacing each other in Cmaptools Places

Post by acanas »

All servers are identified by the server.id entry in the serverconfig.txt file. This id is generated the first time the CmapServer runs.

Two servers cannot have the same server.id entry.

All references to resources (Cmaps, images, videos, etc.) consist of a server.id + resource.id. The server.id indicates in which CmapServer the resource is located (the CmapTools client also has a unique server.id). The resource.id is also unique across the CmapTools network and identifies the resource within the CmapServer (path information is not used).

So a link to a resource consists of a server.id and resource.id tuple.

When replacing a CmapServer by another, you want to copy the server.id entry to the new server. The IP address can change, but the server.id should be maintained. But this means that both your servers cannot be running at the same time. If both CmapServers have the same server.id, they will be constantly "replacing" each other in the CmapTools Views since every time one registers with the Directory of Places (DOP) it will replace the other one.
jobcespedes

Post by jobcespedes »

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. It has been very helpful.
Aliraza153

Post by Aliraza153 »

Question 1:

I'm using SSH/Shell access to install. As best I can determine from the instructions given, I should include serverconfig.txt and not InstallCmapServer.properties to configure the program. How do I ensure that the install "sees" the file?

Last edited by Aliraza153 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
marroyo

Post by marroyo »

Copy your data and configuration file following this guide: http://cmap.ihmc.us/Download/move_CmapServer.php.

To install CmapServer using a SSH/Shell session, run the installer in console mode:

Installer_Name -i console

Upon installation, the CmapServer installer will recognize that you have a previous CmapServer configuration file and use these values as default in the new installation. The contents of your serverRootFolder will be preserved.

marroyo