Making a "Drop Folder" on CmapServer

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
dgroos

Making a "Drop Folder" on CmapServer

Post by dgroos »

Hi,
Today I'm giving a test on using CmapTools/concept mapping. I sure wish I could make a folder with "write only" permissions. I've tried different permission settings on the folder using CmapServer options. I got the idea of altering permissions of folders on the cmapserver --tried it-- but that looks like that's not how cmapserver deals with permissions. I want students to be able to work on a file, say in their own folder, and when they want to 'turn it in' they copy/paste it into a folder that only selected users can read/write it. Is there anyway to do this?
Thanks,
David
acanas

Re: Making a "Drop Folder" on CmapServer

Post by acanas »

Hi,

There are several alternatives, depending on how you have your student's permissions set up and whether they use machines with different profiles (username + password).

a) One alternative is to create a "submissions" folder and set the permissions so that each student can create a folder under the "submissions" folder, and that each student becomes the administrator of their own folder (and other students cannot view it). That way students can keep on adding maps with their resources to their folder under the "submissions" folder. Or you can set up the default permissions for each student's folder to (b) below, allowing them to drop the Cmaps and resources, but not to View them, and therefore not to delete them.

b) Second, set the permissions for the "submissions" folder so that a particular user (e.g. "student"), has *only* permissions to "add, modify and delete resources" (no permissions to View), and not to inherit permissions. This way, students can drop cmaps on the folder but cannot go into the folder to view and therefore cannot delete resources in it. If the student's Cmaps have the student's name as the Cmap's name, then they would be identifiable. Only problem would be that a student could "submit" a Cmap with another student's name.

The White paper on permissions, although somewhat outdated, can be of use:

http://cmap.ihmc.us/Publications/WhiteP ... pTools.pdf

Regards,

Alberto