Folder on server won't open

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
jbisho30

Folder on server won't open

Post by jbisho30 »

Hi, I have to admit I had trouble getting a folder started on the CMap server - so now I'm wondering if I've done something wrong. I wanted to create a folder that I could share with others, and couldn't figure out how to create my own folder on the server or within one of the subfolders until trying several subfolders and finding one that worked for me. I found the subfolder "webpipeline" allowed me to add a new folder, which I labeled "CP Lab". Since creating that folder, I've created some substantial maps, but I can't access them right now.

What I see in CMap Server window:
All folders appear to be working (so that I may open them to see subfolders, though much of the content is protected) EXCEPT for "webpipeline" where I've put all my work. I've tried closing the program and restarting to no avail. The webpipeline folder is gray and when I click Open, the dialogue box reports that it is "opening". It attempts to open until it fails and returns to a gray state. Am I doing something wrong now? Or perhaps I did something wrong by putting my work in this folder??

Much thanks for any help!!
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Folder on server won't open

Post by cmapadmin »

Where is your Home Folder -- that is, which CmapServer are you using?

If its one of the Public Cmap Servers, you should just go and create your own Folder and work from there.

We recommend that you use the new Cmap Cloud. You can access it through the Cmap Cloud tab in the v6.01 or later of CmapTools.
jbisho30

Post by jbisho30 »

I found the folder by adding to "my places" from a list that does not describe which server is which.

I didn't have luck creating a new folder in the public server. It took an awful long time to load, would often crash, and then when it did load I couldn't add a folder. I am willing to try that option again, but that doesn't resolve my missing maps.

Because of the issues with the public folder described above, I opted to use the new Cloud. I had a really difficult experience with logging into the cloud between computers. It made it impossible to use. I posted something about those issues under the cloud forum. I think that I was finally able to login to my cloud account on another computer, but the maps that were placed on the cloud were never available off of the original computer. I cannot use the cloud until those issues are resolved and 'webpipeline' seemed to be the best work around until today.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

There are many CmapSevers. To start helping you, we need to know which Place / CmapServer you are using.

When you click on "Shared Cmaps in Places" tab, which of the servers do you select to go to your folders?
jbisho30

Post by jbisho30 »

I'm very sorry that I don't have more information about this obscure folder named "webpipeline." As I said, I didn't navigate to it by going through a main server, so I have no idea which server it was on. I found the folder by "adding a place" to my places and found a folder at the bottom of that list that presumably belongs on one of the main servers.

As an update: I searched for my key words from my documents (e.g., DSS, foster care, NPSC, CPLab) and could not find any of the maps I'm missing. I'm afraid it looks like I've lost a lot of work...
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

OK, if you added Place then its most likely not one of the Public CmapServers, and for some reason they don't have the folders protected. Each CmapServer administrator decides whether to send their index to the main indexing machine, so for that reason your Cmaps may not show up on the Search... or they found out you were using their server and deleted them.