CmapServer 6.00.07 on OSX 10.10.3 doesn't start

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
salustri

CmapServer 6.00.07 on OSX 10.10.3 doesn't start

Post by salustri »

I just installed a fresh version of CmapServer 6.00.07 on my iMac running Yosemite 10.10.3.
The version of Java in the iMac is "1.6.0_65" (whatever came with OSX).
/sbin/SystemStarter is no longer part of OSX.

I note the installation resulted in a message saying that the installation was complete, but there were "some errors" during the install.
In the installation log file (IHMC_CmapServer_v6.00.07_Install_06_15_2015_13_02_19.log), I find the following:

Install JRE: /Applications/IHMC CmapServer/jre
Additional Notes: ERROR - JRE Source does not exist

Install JRE:

No idea what this means. It looks like JRE was both not-installed and installed.....

Since /sbin/SystemStarter is not available any more, I couldn't figure out how to start the server.

When I try to start it manually, i.e., with:
sudo /Applications/IHMC\ CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/Contents/MacOS/CmapServer &
it doesn't start and all I get is this:

---Executable: "/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/jre/bin/java" -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -Djava.awt.headless=true -cp "/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/CMapServer.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/activation.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/checkfile.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/mail.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/symantec.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/slp.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/admintool.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/socks.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/jniregistry.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/admintoolclient.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../bin/cmapserverservices.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/AppleStubs.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/tm-extractors-0.4.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/concurrent.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/winlaf-0.5.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/poi-scratchpad-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/poi-contrib-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/poi-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/multiplayer.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/mediaplayer.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/jmf.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/customizer.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/PDFBox-0.7.3-dev.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/FontBox-0.1.0-dev.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/ldapbp.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/catalina.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/jsp-api.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/servlet-api.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/xml-apis.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/xercesImpl.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/googleapi.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-digester.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-collections.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-beanutils.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-beanutils-core.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-beanutils-bean-collections.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/ganymed.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/svnjavahl.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/svnClientAdapter.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/lucene-core-2.4-dev.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/JimiProClasses.zip:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/axiom-impl.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/axiom-api.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/wstx-asl-2.9.3.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/stax-api-1.0.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/bcprov-jdk14-147.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/tomcat-juli.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/tomcat-dbcp.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/jasper.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/jasper-el.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/el-api.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/ecj-3.7.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/catalina-tribes.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/catalina-ha.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/catalina-ant.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../tomcat/lib/annotations-api.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-io-2.2.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/commons-codec-1.6.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.6.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/slf4j-api-1.7.6.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/log4j-1.2.17.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/../../classes/java-json.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lax.jar:/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/Contents/Resources/Java/linking.zip" -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.library.path=.:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:"/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin":"/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/jre/lib":"/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/Contents/Resources/Java":"/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/Contents/MacOS":"/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/Contents/Resources" -Xdock:name="CmapServer" -Xdock:icon="/Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/CmapServer.app/Contents/Resources/LaunchAnywhere.icns" com.zerog.lax.LAX "/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/T/app.properties"-------

Please help.
Prof Filippo A. Salustri, PhD, PEng
Ryerson University - Canada
salustri@ryerson.ca
http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: CmapServer 6.00.07 on OSX 10.10.3 doesn't start

Post by cmapadmin »

Is this the complete log file that is generated (in the 'logs' directory)?
salustri

Post by salustri »

I've put the log files I can find in my public dropbox for you.
Here's what I can find:
In /Applications/IHMC CmapServer/UninstallerData/Logs I have this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogxpcl9ybh5qs ... 9.log?dl=0
In /Applications/IHMC CmapServer/logs/ I have
https://www.dropbox.com/s/360djoonc1i1v ... 0.log?dl=0
But on this latter one, I must object, because the file it claims is missing, serverconfig.txt, is there now.
That is, somehow it had disappeared, but I hadn't noticed, so I uninstalled everything and reinstalled from scratch. Thereafter the config file was there.

All other log files are months and months old, back from when it was running fine.

Does this help at all?
salustri@ryerson.ca
salustri

Post by salustri »

CORRECTION!

I just tried restarting the server manually (using the command noted in my original post above).
The Server did NOT start.
There is a new entry in log server complaining that /Applications/IHMC CmapServer/bin/serverconfig.txt is missing.
But serverconfig.txt exists!

So... could it be a problem with permissions on the serverconfig.txt file?
FYI, you can see my serverconfig.txt file at https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7pywuuty9x3j ... g.txt?dl=0

Also, I've pulled the last 100 lines from the older log file leading up to the last time the server went down.
That log is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/1frjv3p8p714p ... 3.log?dl=0
I honestly cannot remember what happened that day. It may have been an OSX update, but I really don't know how to check that.
salustri@ryerson.ca
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

If you are running as root (sudo) then there shouldn't be any permissions problems. The CmapServer does modify the file, but in this case it seems like the file cannot be found at all.

I would recommend backup up the serverconfig.txt file, the serverrootfolder (where the Cmaps are), and try installing the CmapServer again. Could be a special character in the path name during installation? For some reason the /Applications/IHMC CmapServer/ is not being found.

Maybe try installing it in another folder (e.g. with the name "IHMC CmapServer v6") to see if a new installation works, and then copy the old serverconfig.txt and serverrootfolder over.

We can't see anything wrong as it is, we may be missing something.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

We are about to release a new version of the CmapServer, with improvements to the installer. Meanwhile try installing the following 6.03 version (never released to the public):

ftp://ftp.ihmc.us/DownloadCmapTools/Cma ... -13-15.zip
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Try the new version on the ftp site. The public version had a problem with the installer. We'll be posting a new public version soon.
salustri

Post by salustri »

Thanks for the info.
I'll try the version from the ftp site some time this week, and will advise ASAP.
salustri@ryerson.ca
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Tomorrow we are uploading v6.04.

We have fixed the problem with the paths and the way the installer was handling them, so this should resolve your problem. Thanks for reporting it.
salustri

Post by salustri »

6.04 is running!
Thanks very much.
One issue left: since /sbin/SystemStarter is no longer in OSX, can you offer some advice on how to configure launchctl to automatically start CmapServer on boot?
salustri@ryerson.ca