Port 31099?

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
dgroos

Port 31099?

Post by dgroos »

Hi,

I need to provide info to the U of Minnesota IT people before they give me a VM on which to install a CmapServer. I told them to open port 31099 as described on this page: http://cmap.ihmc.us/download/DownloadCm ... Plat=Linux but they need to know if that port needs to be open to the campus, world, specific servers etc. I can't find that port mentioned in any other documentation you have.

Also, they would like to be as specific about access as possible. Can you tell me specifically what ip's (or range of ip's) need to access the ports 4747 and 4748 on our CmapServer? I know it's for the DoP's

Thanks for your great software,
David
acanas

Re: Port 31099?

Post by acanas »

The range of IPs that need to have the port opened is the range of IPs you want to provide access to your CmapServer. The DOP access is from your CmapServer to the DOP. You must also consider the users outside your organization trying to access the CmapServer.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

Thanks acanas.

Question 1:
Do I need to open port 31099 as per the linked page above? If so, what is it for?

Question 2:
Do these ports need to be accessible by 'world' or is a more restrictive access acceptable (criteria--I want our CmapServer to be accessible from anywhere). I didn't get how your reply answered my question, sorry.
acanas

Post by acanas »

Port 31099 is needed if you want your Cmaps indexed by the IndexServer and searchable at www.cmappers.net.

If you need your CmapServer available from anywhere then you cannot restrict the opening of the ports -- they need to be open for everybody.