serverRootFolder not showing up in moved CmapServer

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
doctorproctor

serverRootFolder not showing up in moved CmapServer

Post by doctorproctor »

Greetings -- I have moved my CmapServer as preparation for shutting down a server. I followed the instructions for moving a CmapServer, but the moved Cmap files from serverRootFolder don't show up. The original CmapServer is here (running on a Mac OSX server, v5.04), and the new one is here (running on a Linux server, v. 5.04.03); as you'll see, directories show up in the web view for the original ("Lewis & Clark College") but not for the new one ("Lewis & Clark College Environmental Studies Program"; I actually forget where it gets this identity...not in serverconfig.txt). The new one has the old serverRootFolder at the root level of the CmapServer directory; all files seem fine. The new serverRootFolder's permissions are 755 (owner:group root:root).

Happy to provide further information, and sure appreciate your help.

Jim P.
doctorproctor

Re: serverRootFolder not showing up in moved CmapServer

Post by doctorproctor »

Quick note: looks like my admins have not yet opened up port 8002 off campus, so you won't be able to see the new server (sge.lclark.edu:8002)...Jim P.
acanas

Post by acanas »

Can you please post a copy of the log file that the CmapServer generates?
doctorproctor

Post by doctorproctor »

Sorry for delayed reply; wasn't apparently auto-subscribed to topic. Unfortunately I cannot locate the Cmap Server log: I can only find the installer log, in which everything seems to have been successful. If you could provide guidance, please, on the location of the ongoing Cmap Server log I'll definitely post it!

Many thanks,

Jim P.
doctorproctor

Post by doctorproctor »

Okay, an update: I was able to connect to the new CmapServer, define a new folder, and save a Cmap to it. When I navigate to the server, I see this new directory and the Cmap. So, what's happening is it's recognizing serverRootFolder, but not the directory/file structure inside serverRootFolder. I wonder if this may be because I transferred serverRootFolder from a Mac OSX server to a Linus server?

Jim P.
doctorproctor

Post by doctorproctor »

Another update: attempted to remove project.idx file at root of serverRootFolder, as this seems to be some sort of index file (that includes the folder name I specified from my desktop app, but not the names of other folders in serverRootFolder), but didn't work...other folders still didn't appear. Then tried to restart CmapServer to see if this would help, and I must admit I don't immediately see how to launch it! I was able to kill the process, but am not successful otherwise: I assumed it was simply /pathtoapp/CmapServer.

How does one start CmapServer on a linux server? Sorry, a bit different than the other apps I manage.

Many thanks,

Jim
acanas

Post by acanas »

Jim,
In the folder where the CmapServer is installed there should be a "logs" folder with the logs. Please restart the CmapServer and send us the latest cmapserver0.log file.
doctorproctor

Post by doctorproctor »

Thanks. I don't see a logs directory nor related files at the root level of the CmapServer folder. Please see above: quick primer on restarting CmapServer on Linux appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim
acanas

Post by acanas »

Are you running the CmapServer as Root, that is, with root permissions? If the logs are not being created it could be that there is a permissions problem. Running the CmapServer on Linux is the same as running any other program, but you must make sure that you run it with appropriate permissions.