Advice sought

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
JeffA

Advice sought

Post by JeffA »

Hi,

I have been 'volunteered' to upgrade an existing CMAP server and add LDAP support but have never had experience of the product before. The current version is 4.02 - would the best approach be to install the latest version from scratch and then import the existing resources from the current installation?

Regards,

Jeff.
acanas

Re: Advice sought

Post by acanas »

I would recommend making a copy of the server's folder, particularly the serverconfig.txt file (which is in the bin directory) and the serverrootfolder, where all the resources are located. You might as well backup the whole folder that contains the server code+resources.

You can then safely install the new server over the old server.
JeffA

Post by JeffA »

Thanks for that.

Is the backup purely 'just in case' or would the resource folders then have to be copied back over the new installation?

Jeff.
acanas

Post by acanas »

If you install over the current version, there nothing needs to be copied.
The backups are 'just in case'.
JeffA

Post by JeffA »

Excellent! Thanks for the help.
Aliraza351

Post by Aliraza351 »

I think I've identified the problem. Bluehost (and others) don't support server-side Java on shared servers. I didn't realize it was required to run CmapServer. Maybe your installation requirements should include some mention of it.

Post by acanas »

CmapServer and CmapTools are written in Java. Since Java is included with the installer we didn't add capability to run Java as a requirement. We will.