Connecting To Cmap Server Remotely From Cmap Tools

Having problems with IHMC CmapServer? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapServer, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
mikca

Connecting To Cmap Server Remotely From Cmap Tools

Post by mikca »

I installed "Cmap Server" using the "LinuxCmapServer_v5.04_07-16-10.bin" install on a "Cent OS Linux server". I have plenty of RAM and Resources available on this server. The web page is working fine and is accessible through port 75, ex: http://ipaddress:75

I am trying to connect to it at a remote location by using "Cmap Tools Version 5.04" and going to "Shared Cmaps in Place", then "Add Place". I checked the radio button "Add a place that is not in the list", put my ipaddress of the server in "Internet Host Name", left "Port Number" at 4447 and changed "Web Server Port Number" to 75.

When I hit ok it goes to a process bar saying "Contacting Place" then goes away quickly with no error dialog box. But, after this process there is no place added to "My Places".

Am I missing a step???? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Mark Foster
ghill47

Re: Connecting To Cmap Server Remotely From Cmap Tools

Post by ghill47 »

Hi, Mark.

My first question is: Is your CmapTools client running on a Mac? on Windows? or on a Linux machine?

Thanks

Greg
Greg Hill -- IHMC -- CmapTools Group
mikca

Post by mikca »

Greg,

Thanks for the response. I tried it at two locations, one on Server 2003 and another location using Vista. I go the same result in both places.

Thanks,

Mark Foster
mikca

Post by mikca »

OK, I just tried connecting with the Admin Tool and it says: "Place cannot be added because it does not belong to the group(s) 'cmap, public'."
acanas

Post by acanas »

Hi,
Did you change the scope for the client or server? If so, reset them to "cmapdp, public".

In any case, to help debug the problem we need the following files:

From the server:

a) serverconfig.txt -- located in the "bin" directory, under the directory where the CmapServer was installed.
b) slp.conf -- located in the same directory
c) A copy of the latest log, which should be for a session where you attempted to connect with a client. The logs are in the "logs" directory, under the directory where the CmapServer was installed.

From the client:

a) a copy of the latest log file after you tried to connect to the CmapServer (this entry shows you where to find the log: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65)

b) a copy of the servers.xml file, before and after attempting to connect to the CmapServer (2 copies). The servers.xml file is located, if running Windows, under the AppData folder under your home directory, in a directory named CmapTools (this file is key to determine what is going on). You may need to look under the directories under AppData.

c) a copy of the slp.conf file. This file is located in the "bin" directory, under the directory where the CmapTools client was installed, probably under "Program Files" if you are running Windows.

Please attach these files to a post, or send them via email to my user through this system.

Thanks.
mikca

Post by mikca »

Acanas,

We add the following changes in slp.conf and it worked:

net.slp.DAAddresses=ipaddress:4777:75
net.slp.useScopes=public

Thanks,

Mark Foster
acanas

Post by acanas »

OK, but we don't recommend that you fool around with the scopes as some data regarding scopes is hardwired into clients & servers. Scopes should be cmapdp, public. Some old clients have "cmapdp" hardwired and won't know about public.
pacificshore

Post by pacificshore »

Hi Guys,

CmapTools v5.04.01 October 29, 2010

* Fixed the problem on the Mac that prevented the program to launch when the "Check for Updates" was executed before running CmapTools.
* Fixed the problem on the Mac where logs were truncated because of running under Java VM 1.6.
* Adds Greek as one of the languages supported by the CmapTools GUI.
* Fixes the problem when generating thumbnails under certain Linux distributions.
Thanks a lot.

how to treat depression
matrippy@earthlink.net

Post by matrippy@earthlink.net »

I have been unable to remotely connect to either the Linux CMAP Server
(that we installed on a CentOS 5.5 server), or the Windows CMAP Server (installed on
Windows Server 2008 R2). I can connect from CMAP TOOLS installed on the
same machine, but from a remote machine (we are using both a MAC and a
WINDOWS XP machine), it doesn't work.

The log shows "Ping request to [IP address] failed: could not send service
request". I am able to ping to each of these machines without a problem.
The windows server is using the default Port 80 running as Admin. The
CentOS is running on port 8088. Each of these servers is a VMWARE image
if that makes a difference. In our early trials it seemed that the server
install picked up the VMWARE network interface, so it used a NAT'd address
which we didn't expect. Both servers are bridged with the network they are
on, and have separate (static) IP's, so that should be working now.

Observations:

There is some sort of caching happening on the client, because, it seems to
be able to make changes on the server even after I kill the service ("CMAP
SERVER - 4447").

Deleting the server using CMAP Admin Tool seems to be unrecoverable without
fully reinstalling the server (I get a "server unreachable" if I try to
re-register the server in the Admin Tool).

Further info:

This is an internal collaboration project on our R&D net, so we don't want
to register using SDP with external (IHMC) servers or mappers.

Can you get me started on some troubleshooting tips? I found only one
appropriate entry on the Troubleshooting forum (the entry I posted to),
and it didn't seem to reach
resolution.
acanas

Post by acanas »

Hi,

Are you using the standard CmapServer ports? (See: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158&p=374&hilit=ports#p374). Have you made sure that the ports are open (not blocked by a firewall)? You should be able to ping ports 4447 & 80 from any shell window on other machines. What do you get when you try to access the CmapServer's machine on port 80 with a web browser? You should get a response from the CmapServer.

Regards,