[solved] How to set up a web search engine

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
xtian

[solved] How to set up a web search engine

Post by xtian »

I just made it to the party. How do I set up a web search engine? Which should I use? This post suggests Google is out [1]. I tried bing and yahoo.

Maybe I'm entering the info wrong?
host name: google.com
port number: 4999
web server port number: 80

Also, I checked firewall settings on Windows Vista. I opened the port listed in the post, 4999 [1][2].

[1]: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=259&p=1468&hilit=se ... gine#p1468
[2]: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157&p=373&hilit=websearch#p373
Last edited by xtian on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acanas

Re: How to set up a web search engine

Post by acanas »

The web search used a WebSearch server that searched through Google and then presented the results to the CmapTools client. Since Google started charging to use their APIs, and so does Bing, the web search has been removed from the software, since it stopped working. It won't be appear in v6 or later versions of the client.
xtian

Re: [solved] How to set up a web search engine

Post by xtian »

Thank you.
You'd think duckduckgo or someone like that would permit the Cmap access...

Is there another feature which demonstrates leveraging (topology, semantics) of the (concept map) [1]?

[1]: http://cmapskm.ihmc.us/viewer/cmap/1064 ... 7599_27073
acanas

Re: [solved] How to set up a web search engine

Post by acanas »

The WordNet server, which provides a thesaurus option, uses the content of the Cmap to try to present the most appropriate definition first. Its based on this paper:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~avalerio/pap ... 3spire.pdf